My Long Lost Brother


Advertisement
Africa » Morocco
December 29th 2009
Published: September 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.5704, -5.37435Heavy rains in Chefchaouen a short while ago have caused problems with the town's water supply for the past week, so there were some issues with water availability this morning. There would be good water pressure for a few minutes, but then it would drop off to only a drizzle, and it would take several minutes for it to build up sufficient pressure again. And whatever wat... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

UU
U

Funny - two different brands of cookies, side by side, named after us!
NN
N

We made our way past the Royal Palace and over to Lovers Park, but a passerby told us not to go through a certain section of it - it looked like junkies used that part of it to do their business. This was one of the nicer, junkie-less spots.
OO
O

Some cool fountains in the park.
PP
P

What's the elephant supposed to represent???
VV
V

Yummy little pastry that kept me going until dinner. The only bad part? While eating it, I was approached by Said, the annoying tout!
WW
W

Dinner - nice little salad, with lettuce, tomato, and excellent cucumbers - some top notch produce made it very tasty. The olives were crap as usual, and were left untouched. I savoured every bit of the salad, as I knew that leaving for Spain tomorrow likely meant that this would be my last serving of veg for the next 10 days!
XX
X

More harira for Mary - she doesn't even like it, but keeps getting it because it's a local dish, and also because she's afraid of the salads giving her more stomach problems.
YY
Y

Fish tajine - nice with some chewy bread, but I stopped with the bread because there were some really yummy potatoes, that had absorbed all of the delicious flavours of the tajine. The fish was odd, as it looked More like an eel, but had some very sweet and delicate flesh. A few chunks of bell pepper rounded out the tajine. Though full, I found that I couldn't stop eating the potatoes - there must be something special in the Moroccan potatoes! Maybe instead of camels, I should've asked for sacks of potato in exchange for Mary.
ZAZA
ZA

Dessert was oranges and a powdery apple. Nothing special but being quite stuffed, we really shouldn't have been eating any dessert at all.



9th February 2010

Isn't this gone far too long sterile stereotype argument of exchanging women for camels? We heard this nonsense so many times before that it loses any sense of humour, if ant intended, devoid of any savoury sense, not because it is true but
because it is a typical inferiority complex some Europeans suffer from and resort to whenever they run out of ideas or anything worth saying. If you want to say anything approaching the truth you can always discuss the dowry that is required to be paid by the groom, but this does not need to be, by Islamic Shari'a, prohibitive, but symbolic, unlike the dowry which used to be paid by brides in the UK, for instance, to the groom. The payments made run, in some instances, into millions of present-day pound sterling. Where is the stereotype, or does any even hints to the Scottish quilt? Have you ever tasted English bread? the most abominable ever made, especially when you consider the widely consumed white, soggy, horrible sliced bread? But it is still nice for the people who eat it, and others choose, whole meal bread, French baguette, pita bread or Italian ciabatta, or any other.
9th February 2010

It's actually a reference to the day before, when a Moroccan merchant jokingly offered to buy Mary for 1,000 camels.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb