First Impressions of Morocco


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
May 18th 2012
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

<span><span>BLOG composed May 16
<span>On arriving in Marrakesh I was struck by the intense heat and dryness. 42 degrees C. Pretty hot compared to 12-15 degrees back home. Then I was impressed that so many people here speak French. I thought that the French influence would have died out by now. Arab and French are the main languages of instruction in schools, with English and Spanish next.

<span>We were met and warmly greeted by the driver then host at our Riad (a private home used as guest house). Riad Alaka has about 4 rooms each with bathroom, centred around an open atrium which has a cool plunge pool. We've already cooled off in this amenity! There is also a rooftop sitting area with jaccuzzi (too hot right now, but a great idea in cooler weather).

<span>On our first exploratory walk I could not resist taking photos of the many intricate designs on doors, buildings, fixtures...the artwork, details, and colours are stunning. My husband reminded me that Islam does not permit reproduction of the human or animal face or body, so that explained how artistic expression is sublimated into other forms. Even the simplest surfaces are covered with lovely designs--stone, wood, cement, plaster, metal, and of course silver, gold, and ceramics.

<span>Things I noticed:
<span>-drivers (all kinds) drive fast, even through narrow roads, but are courteous. Give very short beeps to warn pedestrians and other deivers of threor approach.
<span>Very frw stop signs or trafgic lights--lots of yielding.

<span>Sent from my iPhone

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb