Unfamiliar dash through France and Spain, destination Morocco


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
February 26th 2023
Published: February 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

I always seem to start this blog at a time when something significant has happened! Sadly this time is the passing of two people I considered friends. it's a strange one, "friend" there seems to be a belief that this is linked to the time you have known someone for, to me it's someone with who I have made a bond with, this can be formed very quickly in some occasions, as has been proved on this trip already. So as I sit on our beach front camping spot watching the crashing waves I say a prayer for them as I know both of them loved life as much as I do but know the fragility of it is always close by. God bless their souls.

This trip starts with an au revoir and a bientot to Porlock and Exmoor after some 20+yrs. For those of you who are unaware (where have you been!!) we have purchased a smallish Longiere (long house) in Brittany in France. Did this decision take us long, did we consider all the realities, hell No! What would be the fun of that. The house has been a holiday home for the same family for 16yrs and we consider ourselves the lucky new owners. After two weeks of works mainly in the garden removing some overgrown Laurels and creating a driveway it was time to head South and into Morocco in the Motorhome.

As some will remember we we're here in 2020 and spent 4 months here under lockdown, we travelled extensively in the South but were unable to get to see the North so we had a desire to get back and finish the country off so to speak. Plus due to to Brexit we need to leave Europe for periods of time to allow us as much time at the house in Brittany. As yet we are not opting for residency but doing what all us van lifers lovingly call the Schengen shuffle, bit like the hokey cokey just not as much fun!!

The travel down South was like a bullet train and not really our normal speed of travel, but we have many visitors booked in for May and June in France, so need to be back for then. We made convenient stops that suited our four legged friend and made our way to Algeciras (the crossing point) 1200 miles in just 5 days!

This is the first stress point of the journey for us and as always involves the dog. I point out at this moment we have spent more time and effort getting her in and out of countries than we have ever spent on our ourselves (in 5yrs) and how many times have we been asked for this paperwork? bloomin once!! But here we go again we need an AHC (animal health certificate) issued at a vet's which then it has to be used within the next 24hrs to get us into Morocco, trouble is the boats aren't sailing due to high winds and the AHC is costing us €150 so we don't really want to have to do it twice. The appointment at the vets is at 6.30pm so we figure we have time to visit PIFF (no idea?!?) then get back to the vet's oh and then find a park up for the night, as being down by the harbour is a no go as it's too windy! I keep reminding myself I'm on holiday, what fun! The PIFF after two try's confirms they will change the date on their certificate, the one exchanged from the one gained at the vets, free of charge, should we be unable to sail tomorrow! So back to the vet's find a space in a side street out of the wind so good for tonight. Into the vet's, back to the PIFF and we are parked back up in the side street by 8.30pm. I have virtually have no sleep due to the buses seemingly running till midnight and the rest of the time I am praying for the boats to sail. By 8am we are down in the Port and by 10.30am the boat is sailing, things have gone to plan.

We join the obligatory passport stamp queue on the boat which takes the whole time of crossing (1 1/2hrs, same as last time with no improvement!!) but it gives us time to chat with Ceri and Dwayne who are heading in our direction, mind you that's most of the boat! After a non eventful sailing there's a bit of paperwork to be done for the vehicle, at the border and we're back.

We head down the coast to Asillah and stay tight for 3 days, it's a nice easy introduction back into Morocco and the beach is a godsend for Poppy. The search for winter sun gave us the same issues in Turkey last year, you come expecting the African continent to be hot, but it's bloomin winter and there all dressed up and your doing your best to get your bits out which of course is not good because we're in a Muslim country. The weather here has seen floodings further South and the Mountains (our route home) with snow and lots of it!

We travel in Convoy with the 'young ones' sharing stories and enjoy showing some of the sites from our last visit, Kinetra & El jadida. They show us new ones, Rabat, Bonizka, Dar Bouazza and we learn new stops from other travellers 'Those trucking Celts' We enjoy a night of life and travel stories and sharing good park ups is one of the best bit of this travelling community. We are here just north of Oulidia, with their knowledge.The North coast of Morocco is not pretty, mainly one big building site all along the coast until you get past Casablanca. Rabat the capital is a lovely stop and its Medina is a beautiful place to wander and purchase, we buy the two pouffes I wanted last time and didn't get the opportunity t o. We wander the Kasbahs beautifully maintained gardens and it's all just a little escape away from the outside hub bub. The hub bub continues and It is with some relief when we leave El jadida after a lovely fish lunch that we start to drift into the rurality of what is undoubtedly for us the better parts of this country.

Tonights and maybe longer park up is a beautiful beach side view, yes there's a little rubbish but we are have driven on a sand bar across some inland lagoons dotted with flamingoes and other bird life. There are no stray dogs to pull at my heart strings, due to the fact I am sure we are sitting close by to the vegetable growing area, in this instance carrots, courgettes and turnips. The locals are friendly and it's all the bit of piece and quiet we need just right now. So a late breakfast aka early lunch in our bellys we are off to find some Flamingos and remember friends, live your best life what ever that happens to be for you. Much love KGP


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb