2013 Marocco


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
January 7th 2023
Published: March 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023 New Year’s holidays we visited Morocco. We flew 5 hours from Amsterdam to Marrakech. We travelled by bus during 20 days together with a group leaded by a Moroccan guide, Abdul, that spoke fluent Dutch. After years of backpacking and low-budget travelling, it was a change. A nice change, by the way. We just sat in the bus, fastened our seatbelts and visited Roman ruins at “Volubilis”, monuments attached to the past and the culture of Andalucía: “الأَنْدَلُس” Al-Andalus (when Spain was part of different Muslim States from the 8th to the 13th centuries), the old Medinas (cities) of Fez, Meknes, Marrakech & Essouira, the Atlas Mountains and Ouarzazare, the ancient city where caravans stopped before entering the Sahara Dessert during 51 days on their way to the legendary Timbuktu.

The flavours, colours and the sounds of the medieval markets in the medinas and the pleasant Moroccan people we encountered, brought me back to my youth, when we used to watch movies as Casablanca, Lawrence the Arabia, 1001 Nights,… in the exotic Far East.

According to a group companion, there has been an enormous progress in the infrastructure of the country. The roads that took us around the country were new, we saw many schools, hospitals and public building being built. The only ruler is the king Mohammed VI, that seems to be responsible of many reforms. Nobody seems to be bother by his power, on the contrary, his pictures hang everywhere, sometimes together with his ex-wife Pricess Lala Salma. They are divorced and it is not a money issue.

We will be back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CasablancaCasablanca
Casablanca

Ricks Café de la peli "Casablanca" con Humphrey Bogart e Ingrid Bergman.


Mausoleo de Mohamed V. Torre de Hassan, hermana de la Giralda en Sevilla.Califato Almohades. Siglo XII
RabatRabat
Rabat

Mausoleo Mohamed V
RabatRabat
Rabat

Medina
RabatRabat
Rabat

Medina
Meknes Meknes
Meknes

Un peluquero hincha de Argentina
MeknesMeknes
Meknes

Puerta Bab Mansour
MeknesMeknes
Meknes

Tumb Moulay Ismail (1703)
MeknesMeknes
Meknes

Tumb Moulay Ismail (1703)
MeknesMeknes
Meknes

Tumb Moulay Ismail (1703)


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb