Camel Ride


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Tangier
March 21st 1997
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

A day in Tangier is not like a regular day at work. Despite serving as a gateway to Africa, with all the tourist traps associated with that, for a European it's a step into a different world. It can be very culturally educational with a couple of open eyes. The semi-Spanish, semi-Arabic guide leads the group through the Kasbah - the old city center, resembling a maze, with seemingly no order or logic. But we do get to a number of interesting locations, and at least the itinerary seems to be planned.

A Moroccan pharmacy is nothing like a European pharmacy. Spices and herbs are lined up in hundreds of jars on shelves, and a visit is an experience in scent rather than cure.

A Moroccan meal is nothing like a European meal. Platters of unknown substances and contents, very much unlike a Big Mac Meal on a plastic tray.

A Moroccan souvenir shop is nothing like a European souvenir shop. From key chains to expensive handmade carpets, personal service takes a whole new meaning. The sales person is more of a shadow than an informer running in the background. The concept of "not interested" is totally unknown; there are just different levels of "interested", and the job of the sales person is to boost that level, leading to a sale. And then there is the camel ride.

Apparently you can't go to Morocco without riding a camel. Hence, the tour bus takes the group to a hill where a number of camels with the corresponding camel operators are waiting to further make money off tourists. The deal seems to be "get on, let the camel transport you a few steps, get off - next". Only so that you can take a picture and prove you've ridden a camel. Possibly the most unexciting and least romantic animal ride in history...but at least I can say I sat on a camel...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb