Mama Africa!


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Chefchaouen
August 9th 2006
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BridesBridesBrides

Marriage celebration in Hasslibied. photo courtesy of Mai
Being in Morocco is exhausting. The buses are always late, you're always paying someone something for something and there's a constant battle between you and people who want to rip you off, sell you things, show you around, "make massage", invite you to their house for mint tea, marry you, etc.... On top of all that, I think I need to start wearing a t-shirt that says "NOT JAPANESE!" But really, it's worth it. I love Morocco!!

From Fes we went down to the Sahara and camel trekked through the Erg Chebbi (massive dunes) and camped out with the Berber nomads of the desert. We had an amazing time learning Arabic and Berber, playing drums, and drinking tea under the desert night sky. Everyone we met out in the desert was incredibly friendly and hospitable. It was a really nice respite from the lunacy of Fes. Briony and I lost Mai in the desert...I hope she's ok. Heh don't worry, she fell in love with the stars and refused to leave.

We ended up in Tingher next where we were coaxed into buying Berber carpets by a collective of women artisans serving us lots of mint tea (ever want
CamelsCamelsCamels

Me, Mai, and Briony in the Saraha...in August. photo courtesy of Mai
someone to do something for you, serve them mint tea). I bought two... It's ok though, I got a good price! Heh. Actually, I'm quite pleased with my bargaining skills (thanks Ma!) We were invited to the home of a woman who made is tagine and it was delicious. I am completely used to eating with my hands now, by the way. The next day, I cycled to Todra Gorge from Tingher through an oasis and met lots of farming Berber women. One of them gave me figs. They were delicious. On my bike ride back I received about 50 invitations for mint tea in the homes of friendly (or dodgy) Berber men. We headed up to the Dades Gorge and hung out in a hotel in the mountains for the next couple days and eventually made our way to Marrakesh.

I somehow managed to contract a cold in 40 degree (really hot) weather and spent most of my time in Marrakesh coughing and dying. Briony did some serious shopping and we both drank about a gallon of orange juice each day we were there. Marrakesh was definately the most touristy place we'd been to and it was just
OasisOasisOasis

Palm fruits in the oasis in Hasslibied. photo courtesy of Mai
a little too chaotic after hanging around in the mountains and desert for a week.

Now we're in Chefchaouen, a town in the Riff Mountains known for kif. Yep. We needed a good place to relax and this is definately the place for it. heh... No really, this town is ridiculously cute and beautiful. Tomorrow we are scheduled to leave Morocco. When we get back to Tarifa, Spain bodies and sanity intact, we'll have to do some serious rejoicing in the form of caparinha, sangria, and cerveza.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

mmm Sheep's headmmm Sheep's head
mmm Sheep's head

eating some scrumptious food in the Djemaa el-Fna, Marrakesh
Dades GorgeDades Gorge
Dades Gorge

High Atlas Mountains
BluewashBluewash
Bluewash

Chefchaouen
HennaHenna
Henna

my pretty foot and hands
Kif in the RifKif in the Rif
Kif in the Rif

Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountains...where Moroccan hash comes from.


14th August 2006

jealosjealousjealous
this all sounds out of a movie, lady-o! ...so what about them hookups? is that on another blog? ;p
14th August 2006

no, no other blog, no hook ups

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.2mb