A day at the movies


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » Ouarzazate
October 4th 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left the campsite in search of supplies, in pouring rain. Which luckly didn't start till all the tents were packed away and all that was left to do was pay the man. We then headed back to Zagora as it seemed a fair sized town so might have a supermarket or marjane, though looking at the book these are only in the really big places like Fés or Tétouan. So we stopped at a small general store and picked up some more bottled water and fizzy drinks, plus a few extra items. One of these being chocolate mouse, which I had for Dessert tonight. While there a guy who owned a small tailors walked me down to his shop and fitted a dessert turban and top. After a bit of haggling I bought them and wore them till our next destination.

This was the movie studios in Ouarzazate where they filmed scenes for movies like The Mummy Returns, Jewel of the Nile and Gladiator ( plus lots of older or foreign films I had never heard of ). 50 dirhams each got us on the next tour and it was very interesting as the entire selection of sets were all made of plaster and fibre glass. Which yes, when you're stood right next to it and felt it, you knew it was, but when you think of the films they feature in, you would never know. After the tour we headed back inside the hotel at the complex as it had a bar which was licenced to serve alcohol, so Mark and Alan bought themselves a beer and were quite pleased with them.

Back in the car park we plotted the next campsite which was just out of town, but on arrival it was all locked up and looked more like a building site. So we tried the next as it was only six miles further on. This one at first looked absolutely rubbish as there appeared to be a toilet and shower in the middle of a car park. Then just as we were moving on a little guy appeared and showed us where the real camping area was. It looked great, or at least better than the carpark, but when we enquired about the price it kept changing and going up! So we moved on to campsite number three, which is in the back yard of a Hotel. With a good price, sit down toilets and hot showers it was a winner, plus it does have a swimming pool, but its not quite as warm here as it was in Goulmima so I doubt we will stay longer than one night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb