Rock the Kasbah!


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » Agadir
December 27th 2010
Published: December 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Snake Charmer 14 secs
2: Berber Horse Racing 13 secs
Starting far above this city we stop at the ruins of Agadir's old Kasbah. Apparently mother nature rocked the Kasbah (and the entire city) with an earthquake in 1960. 20,000 people perished and the city has been completely rebuilt since then. The Kasbah was left as a memorial (and mass grave) to all those who lost their lives. The view of the city from here is stunning...but beware the aggressive merchants on the site.

On this day all the new bartering skills we learned in Casablanca are thrown out the window. When there's snakes involved, all bets are off. Long story short....we met a guy with a snake and paid far too much to have pictures taken with it. We knew that would happen but we just wanted the snake off our neck (we look happy in the picture, but trust us, those are giddy grins of fear!).
Later that day we did manage to redeem our bartering skills as we procured a pair of all-leather Moroccan shoes (at a Payless price) and the negotiation only took about 2 minutes - team Canada 2, Morocco 1.

Agadir is a much cleaner city than Casablanca. It is a resort town
Snake!!Snake!!Snake!!

Paid too much not to post these.
and a major shipping and fishing port.

We opted for the guided tour in this city. We stopped at a “Pharmacy” where they sell herbs to cure whatever ails you. We also stopped at the souks (markets) where the locals shop. A tourist here is completely out of place...we were thankful to have a guide and 30 other tourists by our side. The guide bought possibly the best clementines we've ever had.

The day ended with the cheesy obligatory “Moroccan” show stop where we had mint tea, watched dancers, acrobats, snake charmers and a traditional horse race.

All in all an event filled day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Olives for sale at Agadir's SoukOlives for sale at Agadir's Souk
Olives for sale at Agadir's Souk

Chris got in trouble for taking this picture


29th December 2010
Meat for sale at Agadir's Souk

another order!
I'll take another hoof please! And a warm rack of lamb....mmmmmmm....
29th December 2010
Snake Charmer

???
and what is the charming part about this???
1st January 2011
Olives for sale at Agadir's Souk

Why did Chris get in trouble???
3rd January 2011

Everything is for sale in Morrocco. Even taking a picture!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb