There would be sand in every crevice...


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Meknès-Tafilalet » Merzouga
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arabian NightsArabian NightsArabian Nights

After Aziz got done wrapping us up in turbans.
We appologize that we haven't written for the last few days. Mom and I have both been pretty sick, and no easy way to blog. My seven year record of no puking flew out the window yesterday... hopefully that means I will be good for another seven years!

We ventured off into the high dunes in Merzouga for a trek with the camels and we had a great time. We watched the sun set as we slowly made our way to the Berber camp. There really is no way to describe how breath-taking the sun and sand can be. We were a little worried when we set out because we were having a bit of a sand storm, but things seemed to settled down once we got past Merzouga and into the dunes. Aziz, our faithful guide, came with us, much to my relief. I think that he is having fun with my camera, and I can't say that I mind. It is nice to actually have pictures with me in them!

The wind was strong on our way out and so Aziz taught us how to wrap our heads up in Turbans to protect our faces from the
Sunrise in the desertSunrise in the desertSunrise in the desert

The sun came up over the dune over our camp below.
wind and the sand. It did a good job at keeping the sand out of clothes and keeping us warm. People have always said the desert is a cold place, but for some reason I didn't believe them.

The camels made for a smooth ride and soundlessly made their way to their destination. I had to keep laughing as my camel kept pooping all over mom's. Something a little like poetic justice if you catch my drift.

We spent the night in a Berber tent. It sounds very enchanting, but it wasn't really "roughing it" as there was a resaurant and a sit-down toilet right there in the camp! In the morning we hiked half way up one of the dunes to watch the sun come up. It was incredible how winded climbing up a hill in the sand can make you. Even mom and all her running didn't keep her from huffing and puffing. We weren't the only ones though, and the other tourists climbed the hill ten feet at a time before stopping for a ten minute rest.

We got back into the car for the slow journey back to Marrakech. We are over-nighting in
Mom's Sentimental momentMom's Sentimental momentMom's Sentimental moment

There has only ever been this one.
Dades Gorge and we have a beautiful view of the river from our room. Too bad we are both too exhausted to enjoy it!

Well, we will try and write again from Marrakech, but "we are in Africa after-all." And having said that... the jump drive isn't working, so no pictures tonight. sorry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb