Marrakesh


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wasn't all that disappointed leaving Tanger. Unfortunatelly all the couchettes in the night-train to Marrakesh were full. Choosing between going back into Tanger and staying another night or buying the unreserved seats for the 11 hour train to Marrakesh, we chose the train. Worked out good at first, but only lasted one station untill there were enough pasengers to fill up every last seat. Finally arrived in the morning after a night without much sleep at all.

It's hot here, EuroWeather says it's been 39 degrees most of the day and I don't doubt it.

After sleeping a few hours at an hotell (with AC!) we've spent the day walking around in the medina amongst all the markets and sales people. There's a never ending labyrinth of paths to walk along and merchandise a plenty everywhere you look. Listed prices are moderate but will drop to half after some bargaining. I suspect it's still a good deal selling the stuff at that price, but comming from Sweden, I'm not really used to having to deal for everything - if I don't like the price I tend to go somewhere else.

We did a pretty good job getting ourselves
DinnerDinnerDinner

Kefta with egg
lost after walking around for four hours, the large minaret overlooking the city is a good landmark though and eventually we found our way back.


With evening aproaching, the food stands fill up the main square and the night comes alive with dancers, storytellers and snake charmers. The traditional dish is the sheep-head, we were too covard to try that one, but we have been eating a lot of other things, so far without getting ill 😊

Had a late dinner at a roof-terrace overlooking the busy square and later went to finish off with some small mixed bbq sticks cooked over fire from one of the stands below. We've developed our own technique for selecting where to eat - the guy that screams the least and doesn't try to get us to eat at his stand by grabbing us usually gets our attention and tip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb