Morocco


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

happy to be herehappy to be herehappy to be here

our hotel was a riad, a small hotel with just 5 rooms (only two rooms occupied today, one by us!). here we're hanging out in the den.
Ellie- Morocco has an excess of three things: people, cats, and mopeds. There are a gajillion cats around every street corner meowing and begging for food. In the town square in Marrackech, there aren't even any stoplights or street lanes! Yet I haven't seen a single car crash or even any road rage. There is this huge marketplace called The Suks, and it is CRAZY! You kind of get used to all of the hawkers and people trying to sell you stuff. About the food in Morroco: it's delicous! I have already fallen in love with this dish called Tajine Berbere, which is basically chicken, potatoes, pickles, olives, and saffron(which makes everything turn yellow!) piled into this special kind of pot called a tajine. It is sort of like a primitive slow-cooker. My mom has discovered she has a knack for bartering. Yesterday, a guy wanted 250 dinhar(about 8 DH=1 USD) for these two really pretty scarves. My mom haggled it all the way down to 100 DH!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

dinnertimedinnertime
dinnertime

getting ready for our first authentic moroccan meal - yum!
rooftoprooftop
rooftop

the rooftop lounge of our riad. we also ate breakfast on the rooftop.
squaresquare
square

here's part of jma el fnaa, the square. this is a lull between afternoon rush and dinner rush.
stallsstalls
stalls

imagine about 50 of these places competing to be your dinner choice. man, i guess we should have worn something white.


4th June 2008

Ellie, sounds like you are having a real adventure.Be sure to keep letting us know what's you guys are up to. Grandma
4th June 2008

Ellie, that dish sounds very yummy! Maybe you could talk your mom or dad in to making something like it when you get home. Tell everyone hello from Tess and I.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb