Forever Under the Spell of Essaouira


Advertisement
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
September 13th 2020
Published: September 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday, October 17th, we arrived in the coastal city of Essaouira from the vibrant city of Marrakesh. As much as I enjoyed that great city, and even earlier visiting the red sand desert climes of the Sahara, I couldn't wait to be near the ocean again. Visiting Essaouira and reveling along her Atlantic shores is a panacea for anyone who, like me, cannot resist the siren call of the sea. Surpr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


















16th September 2020

Essaouira
I've heard so many good things about Essaouira that I'm not surprised that you fell under its spell Sylvia. Your posts are always like a picture essay, which I have to admit, I'm a sucker for :-)
16th September 2020

Essaouira
Thanks for your visit and the kind words, Malcolm. Essaouira has a decidedly different feel than every other place we had been to in Morocco. It's difficult to pinpoint, but I really believe it has something to do with being next to the ocean and how that makes people feel. We didn't explore the modern side of the city because the old medina is where all the historical character and charm are. I really hope you enjoyed this blog!
16th September 2020

I loved Essaouira too ...
... but sadly being on crutches I didn't get to explore properly. It's great to see it through your eyes :) I like the sound of the shops you went to and really enjoyed seeing your colourful photos!
16th September 2020

I loved Essaouira too ...
Thanks, Sarah! Essaouira was my favorite place for the reasons I mentioned and I'm glad we had a good amount of free time there. I think It's such a shame you were on crutches when you visited here. If I remember correctly you still saw a lot while in country. I actually hope I can return to Morocco one day, but like you say, there's still so many new places to see. Thanks for your visit!
17th September 2020

Essaouira... oh my heart!
Sylvia, I can't tell you how much I loved reading this. You have captured the ambiance of the place so beautifully. We absolutely loved our few days in this amazing spot and could so easily return for a much longer stay. Your words took me right back and I felt I was walking those lanes, ports, squares and ramparts once again... looking in the shops, patting kitties, feeling that strong salty breeze and wondering where we should eat! :)
17th September 2020

Essaouira...oh my heart!
RENanDREW, your comments are far too kind but so much appreciated! I remember from your own Morocco blogs how much you enjoyed your time in Essaouira. I liked nearly all the places we visited on this trip, but I wished we could have had just another day or two in Essaouira to enjoy all that it had to offer and because it was my favorite!
17th September 2020

Words and pictures ...
... come together beautifully for another chapter in your Moroccan journey. You must keep a wonderful travel log to retain the memories of so many sights, sounds and experiences.
17th September 2020

Words and pictures
Thanks, Lesley. I try to write down the day's activities in my travel journal everyday if I'm not exhausted, but I also fill in some gaps by looking at all my photos which I take tons of. Plus, I guess travel is so important to me that I just remember a lot of details. My husband always jokes, "how can you remember that!" I might not remember where I just put my reading glasses, but I can remember small details of a trip usually.
18th September 2020

Wonderful read
What a wonderful read this was. As I explained in a previous conversation, I have a very good friend who lived there for many years and has persuaded me to visit once the pandemic is over. While reading your blog I felt like I was there with you.
18th September 2020

Wonderful read
What a wonderful read this was. As I explained in a previous conversation, I have a very good friend who lived there for many years and has persuaded me to visit once the pandemic is over. While reading your blog I felt like I was there with you.
18th September 2020

Wonderful read
Thanks for your visit and lovely comment, Natalie! Of all the places we visited in Morocco, Essaouira was my favorite. That's not to say I didn't like the attractions of Marrakesh. Maybe because of where Essaouira is, located next to the ocean, it has an easy going, unhurried sort of feeling which makes you want to relax. Life really seems simplier. Hope you will like it if you visit there.
18th September 2020

We love Morocco
We share your love of water and Essaouira. Such wonderful seafoods and great music. It is a part of the world that is absolutely charming. I came home with luggage full of argon oils. Beautiful colors, foods, architecture and the people are wonderful.
19th September 2020

We love Morocco
Thanks, Dave and Merry Jo! Isn't that the truth!?! If I brought home everything that I wanted to, I definitely would have needed an extra suitcase! I love the intricate carved tables, rugs, scarves. I think the argan oil/creams and silver jewelry were hits with my family. But, have to say maybe the red sand we brought home from the Sahara (found the perfect glass bottle/silver trim there to keep it in) might be my favorite souvenir!
23rd September 2020

the siren call of the sea
A lovely blog Sylvia. Listening to Elton John while reading as you meandered drawn in by its charm you describe so well. Gnaoua music may not be everyone's cup of tea but Denise & I know well that music feeds the soul. Some of our most special moments have been locals playing their music in exotic locales the memory of the experience which endures. If I have bought a CD while there and then hear their music back home, it is rarely the same, but if it transports me back there...that's gold!
23rd September 2020

the siren call of the sea
Thanks for your nice comments, Dave! I agree about the memories of music connecting you with a particular place; if I ever hear Gnawa music again, I'll always think fondly of our time in Morocco.
15th November 2020

Ah, Essaouira!
Essaouira! Reading your blog entry has reminded me of my own wonderful visit to this really special city. The combination of sea and old medina is indeed truly wonderful. Thank you for your lovely blog entry reminding me of this special place. I'm sorry to hear you are nearing the end of your journey, but wow, what a wonderful journey it seems to have been so far.
15th November 2020

Ah, Essaouira!
Thanks for continuing to read my Morocco blogs, Alex. Essaouira's ocean side location was especially wonderful and added greatly to its charm. I recently finished & posted my last blog on Morocco, "Coming Full Circle in Casablanca." Now working on an article about Northern Ireland. Must catch up & read your latest blog too!! Thanks again! Stay well!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb