Casablanca Day Trip


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Grand Casablanca » Casablanca
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It has been a while since I have posted. Time is flying by. Right now I am in a hotel in Ourazazete and have plenty to fill everyone in on. I will try and get as much as possible posted before we leave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Breakfast of ChampionsBreakfast of Champions
Breakfast of Champions

This is a typical breakfast. Tea à menthe (Mint Tea, the staple drink of Morocco), bread (in this case Chocolate croissants), and nutella and jelly. A lot of mornings we will have warm milk and instant coffee too. There is always plenty to eat which is good because we usually eat breakfast around 8:30 and then don't eat lunch until 1:30.
Mme Bargach's NeighborhoodMme Bargach's Neighborhood
Mme Bargach's Neighborhood

On the way to Casablanca we picked up Mme Bargach. This is just a house under construction but as you can see it is right on the beach. Mom, this is your dream neighborhood, simple houses, constant breeze and private beach.
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

This is the third largest mosque in the world. It has been opened for six years and is breathtaking in both size and detail. The minaret is the highest in the world.
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

We had a beautiful day in Casablanca which just gilded this stunning building. On the outside, I was taken by the size of its doors, arches and fountains.
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

The Mosque was built on the Atlantic Ocean and was inspired by the Koranic verse, "the throne of God was built on water".
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

This was the door we enter from. On the south end of the building is another door of the same size, used only for when the King enters for Holiday services.
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

Inside you can see one of over 40 grand chandeliers. These are one of only three things in the Mosque that did not come from Morocco.
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

Inside the Grand hall. The detail carved into every surface was just stunning. Islam does not permit depictions of the prophet or Allah (you probably remember the cartoon fiasco) so it is covered in arabesque design, detailed patterns and script.
Le Mosque Hassan IILe Mosque Hassan II
Le Mosque Hassan II

A better view of one of the Chandeliers
Le Mosquee Hassan IILe Mosquee Hassan II
Le Mosquee Hassan II

This is a Hamman, a traditional Moroccan bath, underneath the Mosque. There were actually two styles of Hamman. This one is the Roman style. It seemed like a pretty big waste because they are only for show and not use.
Ready for Rick'sReady for Rick's
Ready for Rick's

Me and mosque.
Rick's CafeRick's Cafe
Rick's Cafe

The entrance sign to Rick's cafe. Inspired by the movie, the Rick's Cafe in Morocco was only built five years ago, but is a beautiful building and place to eat.
Mr. BogartMr. Bogart
Mr. Bogart

It wouldn't be a tribute if Casablanca was not playing on repeat on the big screen.
It's a small world after all.It's a small world after all.
It's a small world after all.

A quick story on bizarre coincedence. So when we entered Rick's there was only one other group eating there. They looked like American students as well and I though I recognized one girl. Before I left my neighbor told me that a girl the grade below me from St. Catherines was also spending her summer in Morocco. I went down and talked to this group and it turned out to be the girl, Caroline Ott, and friends from UNC. They are also staying in Rabat.
The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

Maybe the waters did bring Mr. Rick to Casablanca.
The MedinaThe Medina
The Medina

After the mosque, Rick's, the beach, and a tour of the city's architecture, we stopped for some shopping in the Medina.
Tea in the MedinaTea in the Medina
Tea in the Medina

Took a break for tea in the Medina
Mme Bargach'sMme Bargach's
Mme Bargach's

Sunday we spent the entire day at the beach at Mme Bargach's house. It was a beautiful beach and the fact that I took one picture shows that I spent my time enjoying the sun and waves. We had a delicious lunch on Mme's lawn.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb