Souks; Mint Tea and figs


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
September 30th 2006
Published: September 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Geri and I arrived at Hotel Batha after a 16 hour journey and met up with Phil this morning. We hired a guide, Sayeed, to take us into the souk , the labarynth of shops and stalls surrounding the Medina because it is so big and maze like that tourists usually get lost. WOW. It was really amazing! There were people selling: figs; nuts; leather; fabric; copper pots. There were very narrow paths where people would be trying to get by each other and then a donkey would come down the path loaded with leather or spices. They put car tire rubber on the donkey's hooves for traction on the cobble stone. The people here have been so friendly and helpful. No chaos here so far, no one trying to pick our pockets or making lewd comments (Geri and I trying not to take this too personally!) We have been invited to our Guide's house tonight for dinner, so we bought some figs and bread to bring over. They are in Ramadan now, so they do not eat or drink anything, including water, from sunrise to sunset. Everyone shares their food with us here; the man on the train shared his bread and yogurt. They will take your food in return, I gave the man my candy, and Geri gave him a power bar. We are going to Marrakech tomorrow and will use it for a base camp for our camel trek to the Sahara. We are safe and well and wish you were all here with us!

Advertisement



3rd October 2006

College Girls?
You 2 look like a couple of college students rampaging thru jr yr abroad (I know having seen all my daughter's photos form the last year). What a fun time, cant wait to hear more at Simpsons (which will be quite tame for you after this). Try not to have anything illegal in your bags when you come back, we no longer have habeas corpus (the republicans got rid of it while you were gone), andy

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb