Fes


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
February 6th 2012
Published: February 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The alarm went again at 5.40am something you have to get used to I guess. Those damn prayers.

Have decided it is essential that we do some shopping this morning because we are freezing our proverbial you know what off. Even the locals tell us it is cold. We purchase scarves, 40 dirham, socks 10 dirham, and coats for 200 dirham. I have bought an authentic Berber caftan and look quite the part if I do say so myself.

After a quick hit of coffee and mint tea we head out the blue gate(which is the main entrance to the medina) and out into the real world or Fes as it is. We walk along an old wall ,everywhere is walls, to the kings palace which is not very exciting because we are not allowed in and not even allowed to take a picture of the front gate as the king is arriving for a festival tomorrow. Natarsha nearly took a snap and a guard asked her to delete her photos.

More markets and more touts. Every corner has three or four young men standing on it. Everywhere you turn someone is trying to do you a favour or wants your daughters hand in marriage. My daughter in particular. If you have a self esteem problem and you are white Caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes this is the place to come.

We pass the old French quarter, the Jewish quarter and the gardens. Not incredibly impressed. Lots of sight seeyers all locals. We take a taxi ride to the top of the hill overlooking Fes, a great view and walk back to our Dar very proud of ourselves for finding the way back.

Josephine the owner has returned back from her journey and we meet her for the first time. She is from Melbourne , divorced, about 60 years old and moved here 6 years ago bought a house in the medina and turned it into a hotel. A very interesting lady. Talked to her for quite a while about the meaning of life. Ate camel for dinner as you would and retired to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb