Heading Home


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
June 3rd 2009
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -20.2554, 57.5517

Upon returning to Mauritius we were once again surrounded by beautiful white sand beaches and azure seas. We could watch and listen as the waves gently rolled in over the distant reefs. The skies were sunny and blue and the balmy evenings were a pleasant change from the chill of the autumn nights in Southern and Central Africa. We were amused by the friendly locals, their warm smiles and their easy going nature.Having driven around some of the island we found it to be a little larger than we first anticipated. The coastline that we saw was mostly undulating so that the majority of it appeared suitable for residential dwellings. Many homes, guest houses, hotels and resorts had their own private beaches. The interior was a mix of sugar cane fields and high craggy rock formations giving impressions of the Sphinx, or the minariets of a mosque or the famous landmarks in Red Square. The northern part of the island was where tourism has thrived for years. Its was much less third world and in some parts you would be forgiven for thinking you were in Noosa. The southern area where we were staying was part small town, not unlike some asian villages and part Eurpean style luxury residential. Fortunately it was more lay back there in the south than in other areas we visited.The atmosphere all over the island was all about relaxation, getting a tan, swimming, snorkelling and a plethora of water activities, drinking rum cocktails and eating fresh seafood. The crayfish there was plentiful and inexpensive. Our room overlooked a picturesque corner of the coast so we when we weren't looking around the island we were happy just to relax and enjoy the view. After almost a week doing things at our own pace we were as ready as we would ever be to return home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb