New favourite restaurant plus a new friend Bruno


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
January 9th 2007
Published: January 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were perusing our Bradt guide to Mauritius for recommended local restaurants and decided on Coco de Mer Seychelles cuisine since their Saturday buffets were supposed to be very good value at MUR 300 (~£5). We joined a table outside with the chef and a multilingual Swede from Vienna who was raving about the cooking from 50 metres as we approached. The curries were especially fantastic, so Joachim asked the chef if he’d teach him and Bruno said sure thing. Next day at 1230 Joachim was the Creole chef’s happy and eager assistant!

I mainly chopped vegetables, but was lucky to observe and take notes on the spicy chicken, calamari tomato and a kind of Creole salsa sauce “á la Bruno” with a secret home made ingredient. Very nice… too bad they were for other customers! But then we made a nice fish curry just for Bruno and I. He really enjoys his craft with a passion and took his time explaining to me the nuances of the preparation and cooking. A most delicious and enjoyable Sunday afternoon!

We’ll be back weekends for more and have also been invited to Bruno’s home to learn more as well. Can’t beat that!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th January 2007

Keep Choppin'!
Looks nice! Sounds like good learnin'! I look forward to you makin' that to me, Joey! Keep it up! - but down while choppin'!
9th January 2007

A really good looking chef's assistant in that restaurant!
Sounds like you guys have all the fun! It's so entertaining to read about all the things you are doing. I'm quite envious. The chef's costume really suits you Joachim! :-) I wish you both all the best, and if I can get Trondebass (not sure how you spell that...) to work some more ;-)), maybe we can come and visit you guys. Lots of love.
9th January 2007

Yum yum!
Can you cook me a curry please on your return?! Am sure you are not missing Bean Counting, hearing all your Stories! Keep up the adventures and keep up with keeping us posted!! Bon Apetit..!!!!!X
19th January 2007

Super
Hi u 2, nice to see that Joachim has found a new profession at Bruno's, hope he is not only interested in tasting the cheep local beer ;-). Best regards from stormy Bremen.

Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb