So what about the diving….


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
December 12th 2006
Published: December 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dayflower has been taking us around the island so we have been able to check out several dive centres. We have been talking to the managers as well as other divers.

There are two centres that we have short listed:

Dive Mauritius, Bel Ombre, South West
The centre is in the Mövenpick Hotel and is a five star gold palm PADI resort and the manager Nolan seems like a very nice guy and he would take us on for 2-3 months.

Living in the south centre we will be based in an area where it is less touristy. It is either gated hotels or local, not much in between.

Pros: Closer to surfing area, as Nina is keen to learn to surf. Good technical dive centre. Another good thing is that this centre is one out of four which is placed around the island, north, east and south. The manager said we would be going to all four with clients from Mövenpick.

Cons: Not much happening in the evenings since only hotel guests use the dive centres and basically stay there. The diving in the south is not as good as in the north… so often they bus their divers up there.


Blue Water Divers, Trou Aux Biches, North West

This dive centre is independent of the hotels and has a wide range of dives. Talking to one instructor at another centre that as worked there told us that that we have to expect to work hard, but learn a lot.

Up in the north it is a bit more touristy, but still lots of room for peace and quiet as well as public beaches. But it gives a bit more to do at night as there are all things in between hotel and local.

Pros: Larger dive operation (for Mauritius) with a very good reputation. Best diving area on the island and a more varied tourist environment with the locals.
Cons: The centre is mainly French and the master instructor speaks this ONLY, so that is a bit of a concern for Nina. Our main instructor speaks English, and Nina is keen to learn, so maybe this will be the motivation!


So what to do
We should make a decision soon so we can focus next on getting a new place to live. Going to a club night for the local Mauritius divers, for some 3rd party input to clinch it...


Advertisement



13th December 2006

Weather is shit here, i hate u guys!!! :-)
Hi Guys, Man i wish i was on the beach there!!! How u guys doing? Lofe here is still the same , builders still finishing off works, Einat is due in 3 weeks..... The beach is looking good! Seeya soon, H.
13th December 2006

Harold!! 3 weeks!!!
Is it only three weeks left!! Happening fast!! :) Doing well mate! Looking at a flat tonight - one with a sparebed room for £200 just in the spot we want to be! Fingers crossed! You are welcome anytime!! looks like we will be here for a few months now.. :)
15th December 2006

Looks Good
I missed the opportunity to get there whilst working in South Africa. Now I really Regret it seeing the pics.

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb