Kayaking and bicycling around Mahebourg


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius » Grand Port » Mahebourg
October 9th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -20.41, 57.7

One of the reasons we chose to stay at Le Bamboo was the fact they advertised free bikes and kayaks. Soo......the next morning after our delicious breakfast of eggs, crepe, fruit, coffee and fresh bread, we said we wanted to go kayaking! Oh no, there is a leak! Checked them out and does not seem to be a real bad leak and it was on the top of kayak and then Vishna also tells us some other guests had taken the boats out and had gone toward the bridge where the river heads to the ocean, got caught in current and were swept out to sea and had to be rescued by the Coast Guard. We assured him we only wanted to go the other direction.

So, they helped us get the boats in the water and off we went. They were very light weight and easy to handle and we had a great time. The river is affected by the tides and so on the various times we went out, the water level varied but got to enjoy the scenery.

The tanagers were all over the place and vireos as well. We also saw some bats flying around. Got to a place where there were ladies washing clothes in the river and that was where we turned around. One side of the river is pretty much undeveloped and very lush. The other side has houses right up against the river. All very interesting to check out.

Were able to use the bikes as well. Nothing fancy but Mahebourg is a fairly easy place to bicycle with one main street and lots of side streets and the waterfront to explore. We enjoyed checking out the sights and sounds of the city. Decided we were going to bicycle to Blue Bay and see what it looked like.

We were also taken by Vishna and his wife to the open air market to get some fresh vegetables. Most of the produce comes from South Africa but there was some local produce and fresh noodles as well. Bought food and brought it back to fix our meals at the outdoor kitchen area.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb