Western Sahara,Mauritania to Bamako


Advertisement
Mauritania's flag
Africa » Mauritania
April 16th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Finally our Visa came through and we were off towards the desert. We entered southern Morocco and to Marakesch where we saw the most amazing spectacle of the night market. Thousands of people gathered to eat at stalls selling goats brains,snails and almost every part of camels etc etc. Juice stalls ,magicians,street performers ,snake charmers and any other street activities were present. Many other sights such as the old palace mosques etc were in every corner.Further south we entered Western Sahara and our first taste of land mines,desert and UN peace keeping soldiers a common sight.After a couple of long driving days we entered Mauritania and the endless desert . We camped at Nouadhibou and Noukchott. This capital city was little more than sandy streets and rubbish and car wrecks littering everywhere but these were proud people and very welcoming. We then continued east across the Sahara driving on sand drifts and non existant roads. We spent many hours digging the truck out of deep sand- very tiring and dehydrating. After 7 days of this and no showers or water to wash with we made it to the Malian border and a further day into Bamako. This is a vibrant city and we have spent 3 days seeing the sights and I managed to get to the places that Bill and I stayed and ate 15 years ago when we came through. We leave tomorrow and on to northern Mali and the mud mosque at Djenne and the a few days by pinesse( large canoe) to Timbuckto.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

MauritaniaMauritania
Mauritania

Philip buying T Shirt Noukchott
MauritaniaMauritania
Mauritania

Goat Market
Mauritanian babyMauritanian baby
Mauritanian baby

desert south Mauritania
BamakoBamako
Bamako

Niger River next to our camping ground Hotel Djoliba


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb