Welcome to Timbuktu


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » North-West » Timbuktu
November 11th 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Timbuktu!

To be quite honest, Timbuktu was nothing more than a small dusty city filled with Mosques, but hey, we made it!

What we will most remember about Timbuktu, is the unbearably loud chanting that started at about 4 am and continued on until about 6am from the various Mosques near to where we were camping. The chanting signals prayer time, in the Muslim religion, they pray 5 times daily, and depending on the cities that we have been to, sometimes the Mosques project loud chanting to signal prayer time up to 5 times through out the day. This was even more prevalent in Timbuktu where 3 large mosques in relatively close proximity seemed to be competing with each other rap-battle style for the loudest most obnoxious noises they could make at 4am.

Here are a few of the pictures that we took to give you an idea of what Timbuktu looks like. The various door ways through out the city are a unique feature to Timbuktu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Clay ovenClay oven
Clay oven

Authentic oven made from mud bricks and clay. This is where they bake the bread. Sand in your bread comes at no extra charge.
MosqueMosque
Mosque

One of the three main Mosques at Timbuktu. This one is under resoration.
DoorsDoors
Doors

Some interesting doors at Timbuktu.
Famous mosqueFamous mosque
Famous mosque

The inevitable post card shot
Ruined cityRuined city
Ruined city

As you can see, apart from the Mosques, Timbuktu is another victim of the Sahara desert like Chinguetti.
Sand MarketSand Market
Sand Market

A shot of the market from above as a sand storm blows in.
Goat islandGoat island
Goat island

These goats appear to be trapped until low tide.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb