Bamako, Mopti and beyond


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » District of Bamako » Bamako
November 6th 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Creepy CrawlyCreepy CrawlyCreepy Crawly

People have been asking about the bugs. Here's a sun spider that one of the guys caught at a campsite. Related to the scorpion, ugly, but not as dangerous.
The way I see it, people do not usually come to Africa for the cities, they come to see the people, hear the music, enjoy the scenary and observe the wildlife. Having said that, we have decided that our time in the big cities is time for us to update the blog, go through our photos, do laundry, relax, and chill out away from the everyday rigours of the truck and group travel.

We did not rush around seeing all there was to see in Bamako, we did, however manage to make it to the Maisons des Artisans, however trying to get there was an interesting taxi ride to say the least. The taxi driver had to ask several people for directions, and still it took us over an hour to get to where we wanted to go, although we did get to see all sorts of areas of Bamako we would not have otherwise seen. It was a good thing we negotiated the price of the taxi before getting in, otherwise the hour journey, I am sure would have cost a small fortune. The price we negotiated 2000 CFA, approx 4 dollars.

Also while in Bamako, we took
Sunset in BamakoSunset in BamakoSunset in Bamako

Sunset over the Niger from our campsite in Bamako.
a drumming lesson, it was fun!

After leaving Bamako, we drove towards Mopti for the start of the river trip to Timbuktu. We spent a couple of nights bushcamping enroute to Mopti, we posted a couple of pictures of some of the scenary that we passed through.

Mopti they say is the West Africa version of Venice, Italy. Having not been to Venice, Italy, I can not really compare the two. Here are some of the pictures of Mopti, if you are interested.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Drumming lessonDrumming lesson
Drumming lesson

Kathie and I took a drumming lesson...we still don't have rhythm.
Baobab treeBaobab tree
Baobab tree

Huge trees that look like they've been turned upside down and shoved back into the ground.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb