Veggie Feasts


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
November 11th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Waterfall AttendantsWaterfall AttendantsWaterfall Attendants

We visited the highest falls in Malawi which were very impressive but before we could enter we had to wait for the lady who takes the money to finish her hair!
Geo: -13.7158, 34.6287

As mentioned yesterday we are staying in a place called the Mushroom Farm, it is on the side of a mountain with spectacular views. Our bedroom is a cob house (straw and mud construction, as seen on Grand Designs) and the bathroom is huge, it only has three walls, the fourth is open with a 1000ft drop immediately below so there is no danger of anyone looking in although it is a bit disconcerting when you go to the loo in the middle of the night. It is a vegetarian establishment but they seem to think that if you are not given meat you must eat lots of greens. Yesterday's lunches were huge and then dinner was beyond us, I managed 70% of my plate of food but Gill was completely defeated and only managed 20%.
All the food we have had in Malawi has been good even when you don't expect it. The cafe on the ship is a good example, the boat is a government run institution like British Rail yet the food was home made from fresh ingredients. The only downside is that it is normal to have to wait an hour for your food, most places
Manchewe FallsManchewe FallsManchewe Falls

The Manchewe falls are quite impressive with four big drops however the walk in and out was exhausting in 35c heat
expect you to order many hours in advance and even then it is late being served. Patrick, our German guide when we're in the parks was livid when a breakfast ordered for 7am in a hotel did not materialise until 7.50. He has lived in Malawi for 20 years but this delay brought out his German side!
We have been sightseeing around Livingstonia which has an interesting museum and church as well as visiting some waterfalls which are the highest in Malawi. Tomorrow is a rest day and then we are off down the lake and probably out of Internet range for a few days so I won't get Barnets result for a few days, no bad thing as we seem to be losing rather a lot just lately.

Stop Press - Finally got a better internet speed so pictures added for the last three entries.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rush HourRush Hour
Rush Hour

Rush hour in Livingstonia
BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

Our bathroom in the Mushroom Farm, the loos are "soil", you lift the lid, do your business, drop a cup full of leaves down followed by a cup of ash. They don't smell and don't waste water although I have not volunteered to dig out the compost. One wall of the bathroom is missing, just a 1000ft drop and a nice breeze.


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb