Painting some hope and aspiration


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Southern » Blantyre
December 31st 2007
Published: January 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last two UK volunteers at the orphanage before me had bought paint and created a wonderful underwater scene along the longest wall in the hall. It is on the wall opposite the entrance so as you walk in it really lifts the environment, and stimulates the children. Painted on the wall are sharks, fish, an octopus and even a mermaid. On one notable occasion I observed one of the primary school boys, called Blessings, quietly sitting by the wall and copying some fish into his exercise book.

During a previous meeting with the Reverend he had said it would be good if I could do another wall, as they want to remember each volunteer. So today and tomorrow, 27 and 28 December, are set aside for painting!

The Reverend's brother, who is 24 and on holiday from his medical training at college, had agreed to help.

We discuss ideas of keeping within the sea theme, especially as the biggest pot of paint is blue, and also to lead on nicely from the underwater picture. We draw some sketches on paper and our ideas start to flow from there with some kids also adding in a few touches.

We decide upon a simple picture with two small islands each with a palm tree, and three boats in between. We work hard and also get some children, such as Blessings who is a budding artist, involved where we can. The children are so keen to help that even when the Reverend's brother and I are atop chairs trying to paint the upper parts of the picture a child will try to balance the paint pot on their head so we don't have to hold it! I don't let them do this for long and they fight to wash brushes and do any painting they can.

The Reverend's brother isn't that keen on coming to the orphanage and can't really explain why. In two years time he will have finished his medical course and have a job at the local hospital, which is already guaranteed. I try to emphasise that his skills will be so beneficial to the project and the kids. On the first day I ask if he has an email address so I can keep in touch with him on his progress when I leave. He doesn't, but by the following day he brings me one. Later he promises that he will use his medical skills here and also be a guardian of our wall, repainting bits as they get dirty.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb