Truck politics


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern
February 5th 2014
Published: February 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

MeMeMe

In the truck cab.
Back in the truck we rattle along to the border of Malawi. On a potty stop in a baobab forest we cavort about like Gulliver dwarfed by the enormous trees. I hug a Baobab...an ant on the side of the world!.Henry our driver extraordinaire warns us that Tanzania was the holiday, Malawi will be rough...basic and off the grid.

It begins at the border...thank goodness at least there is no visa fee as we swelter for two hours in the stifling heat of the immigration office answering a million detailed questions of our travel plans.

Lucy and I reach down from the truck to give our remaining Tanzanian shillings to dusty little boys...they beam their radiant thanks.



That night at dinner Henry reads the group the riot act, I had written the tour company a letter about the abusive behavior of the Aussie wanker and it seems that the wanker had written one also. The difference being that mine was complimentary of Henry and the travel experience despite the wankers presence, the wanker in turn had blasted Henry and the rest of the company me included.

The result.... The balance of power restored, I smile and twirl the stem of my imaginary wine glass in my mind as Henry threatens to throw anybody off the trip who can not behave properly. The wankers' reign had come to an end... In any case he was now gone as his time was over in Zanzibar, however, the remaining members of his court look sheepish and somewhat cowed.

Ahhhhhh the good life!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Local beerLocal beer
Local beer

Better than good!
HenryHenry
Henry

Our driver, tour guide, confidant and protector. Simply the best!
Dawn departureDawn departure
Dawn departure

Packing jeep for Ngorongoro


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb