give me money


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi
September 21st 2008
Published: October 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another brief entry as i only have 1/2 hour. I'm back at Cape maclear for the weekend. We kayaked out to the island in the middle of the bay yesterday. The weather's been better this time but now there are lots of mozzies.
Went snorkelling when we were here last weekend, then packed up and set off in the boat. Once out of the bay the lake was too rough though, so we had to come back by matola - flat bed truck that you sit or stand in the back of. The thing was literally falling apart - the rear panel fell off half way back, and was tied back on with string.
Had monday off to go pick up friends from lilongwe airport, setting off at 5am with neil and tony, the project coordinators, who were picking up the next group of volunteers. Drove toyota corolla hire car back to the lake, a 3 hour journey. Trying to keep up with the 4x4 the others were in was an experience.
Had an easier week at work. We've almost finished spraying and handing out nets in namacoma so moved on to surveying the next village, chizula. I log the gps coords of each house while alex carries out the census. Alex still has sullen days when he ignores my questions but it's getting easier with him.
A group of hippos keep appearing in the reeds just up the beach. I've been swimming in the lake briefly, so i'll get myself checked out for bilharzia when i get home. Opinion on the dangers vary wildy.
Did a bit of work on the tree nursery last week during the afternoons and hope to do more this coming week.
Had a beach party on thursday night to cheer up one of the volunteers who'd just got her exam results back and hadn't done so well. We sat round a fire drinking punch made from cane spirit and pineapple squash while watching the reflections the burnt orange moon made as it rose over the lake.
The title is what all the children and some of the women shriek at us as we walk through the local village, mixed in with 'give me bottle' (there's a market in used water bottles) or 'give me t-shirt' (volunteers must be handing out their clothes when they leave). Our response is either 'dlibi nlama' (i have no money) or 'no, you give me your money/t-shirt' (guaranteed to make them laugh and lighten the atmosphere).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb