Horseback riding at Kende Beach,


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
June 25th 2010
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

horse riding on the beachhorse riding on the beachhorse riding on the beach

jenna and mike on their horses at kende beach
The following weekend three of decided to go to Kende Beach, an incredible sandy beach with pretty big waves and nice resort. This time we decided to skip the buses and hire a taxi cab. Luckily this cab driver didn’t know much about the location of Kende B each , so he under charged us for the trip as prices are negotiated before the journey. About half way there, we got pulled over at a police check point. Our driver’ s taxi was not licensed to serve outside of Mzuzu, therefore he was fined by the police 3000k,aprox 20$ (the same as our our taxi fee) . As soon as we arrive we booked a 2hour horseback riding tour. The resort owner drove us to a big horse ranch which was operated by people from England. After getting geared up and burning through a two minute horse riding lesson, we were ready to start our tour. We tried trotting ( a slight jog) a few times along the way, it was quite a bumpy ride and a core body workout Our journey took us through various forest trails, some rural villages, swamps, tall grass fields and finally back to the beach resort. The horses got tied up while we changed into our swim shorts. The guide took the saddles off the horse, so we could ride them bareback in the water. Unfortunately, there was pretty heavy wave activity and the horses did not like it that much, I was kind of glad though because horse riding bareback is extremely uncomfortable for a first timer. When our tour was over I jumped in the lake and attempted body surfing in the waves. The following morning we checked out of our room but stayed at the beach for several hours. After exhausting myself in the waves again, I joined a beach soccer game of locals vs. travelers. My team consisted of 8 guys my age from the UK, Australia and one other Canadian, it had to be one of the most fun soccer games I ever played.



Advertisement



1st July 2010

WOW
It sounds like you are getting the full meal deal on this trip Justin. I am enjoying reading about your experiences and impressions of Africa. I can't wait to hear first hand about your trip some day .... maybe in the next year.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb