Hakuna Matata


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
August 29th 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 94: Thursday, August 24: Kendwa, Zanzibar

Today was a pretty relaxing day. Slept in, hung out at the bar and on the beach, a few games of beach volleyball and dinner on the beach as well. Also walked up to the village, checked out the locals and then headed back down the beach. Got a piece of artwork from a local as well. Otherwise, just not much to report. A great day.

Day 95: Friday, August 25: Kendwa, Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Got up late again (last time 😞 ), got in a few more games of beach volleyball, then headed back to the port and took the ferry back to the mainland. The ferry was late, but we managed with a few popcycles and made it back to the campsite pretty late. Ended up being an early night as the next morning was a 6am start.

Day 96: Saturday, August 26: Dar to Iringa, Tanzania

Today was a truck day, almost 11 hours on the road including stops, breakfast and lunch, but we powered through it with a bunch of card playing. We stayed at a farmhouse for the night where they made us a traditional Tanzanian dinner. Very yummy. It got cold here at night as it was up in the mountains.

Day 97: Sunday, August 27: Iringa, Tanzania to Chitimba, Malawi

Another long driving day, we crossed the border into Malawi with ease, although money exchanged was with a guy and a bag, oh well, what can ya do. We landed into a beach camp late in the evening, grilled steaks from the farmhouse and had a few beers in the bar. Hmm.. these days aren't that exciting are they? Well, the good stuff is coming up!!

Day 98: Monday, August 28: Chitimba to Kande Beach, Malawi

Finally, a short drive day. We stopped in town to get some grocery shopping done, and to get clothes for our bad taste party. Basically, we all got assigned another person on the truck and then had to pick out the most horrible clothing for under $5 for them. The shop owners know we are coming and bring out the ugliest clothes you've ever seen. We then made up some punch, had a wonderful roast and all got drunk in the weirdest outfits (luckily I got off light, some of the guys did not).

Day 99: Tuesday, August 29: Kande Beach

Today was a late start.. waking up at 8am. After a late breakfast, I went scuba diving in the lake. My first fresh water experience, it was quite different but a lot of fun.. Relaxed in the evening and now I'm off to cook dinner.

Tomorrow I will have left the country 100 days ago.. Its been a crazy trip so far, loving almost every minute of it. I counted today, and exactly half of my days have been waking up in a tent on the ground.. ouch.. Of course, I'm starting to think about home now and what I've got to do to be a normal American again. The crazy thing is, most of my "Adventure" is just starting.. Over the next 38 days I will be on a house boat, walking with lions in Zambia, white water kayaking the Zambezi, Abseiling at Victoria Falls, game drives in Botswana, sand boarding in Namibia and Great White Shark diving in Cape Town.. Crazy huh? Just the jolt I'll need to get me through all this and start my real life again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb