2 Weeks In


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
December 12th 2006
Published: December 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all!

Back again for another instalment, again in diary format for ease of viewing.

06/12/06 - Livingstone - Zambia

Quad biking was first on the list for this morning and it was really really good fun. Vik was a bit wary at first, but soon got the hang of burning round on our 250cc quads. The guy that took us was a real giggle and kept doing stunts on 2 wheels and doing doughnuts in the sand. Of course Rik took this as a personal challenge and soon disappeared into a cloud of dust and sand as he perfected his spinning technique hehe. Vik decided doughnutting wasn't her thing and just rode up and down looking good for a while. Of all the ironies, guess who broke their quad though... Rik pushing it through its paces and just being a lad with a new toy or safe Vik with her sunday driving. Yup thats right about 20 minutes in Vik broke hers and had to ride the instructors' while he fixed hers. Of course that gave her the excuse for why she couldn't do any spins - the ice box was stuck on the back of the instructor's quad.

After a quick lunch break we joined a couple of friends on a helicopter flight over Victoria Falls. The sights were spectactular and we got some good camcorder footage which as usual we promise to upload at some stage (I don't think they believe us Vik, they think we really went to Skegness for a few weeks). The flight also gave us chance to see the falls from the Zimbabwean side as well.

07/12/06 - Livingstone - Zambia

Vik's abseiling day! Today our intrepid daredevil decided she had had enough and was gonna jump off a cliff. The first activity was a tame abseil down a 50 meter cliff, closely followed by a 50 meter running jump (called a flying fox) out over the ravine in a superman pose, but the ultimate adrenaline rush of the day was the dreaded gorge swing - a 60 meter high freefall drop followed by a death defying swing just before you hit the ground. Our special little adrenaline junkie just jumped off without so much of a peep.

08/12/06 - Livingstone - Zambia

Rik's Microlight day! After really looking forward to this it was show time. Its a strange feeling flying over Victoria Falls at 1500 feet with nothing but a tiny go-cart frame with wings for support - especially when the pilot decided he was going to do some aerobatics while chasing a hippo around the Zambese river on the way back to land.

09/12/06 - Zambia

Back on the road again, we said our farewells to Livingstone and set off on the 500km journey to Chipata.

10/12/06 - Zambia

Still on the road on our way up to the Milawi border. We stayed the night in a campsite about 20km from the border itself.

11/12/06 Zambia/Milawi

Very very tiring day. Started well as we all crossed the border out of Zambia, but quickly went pear shaped as the Milawi authorities took a dislike to our one and only Swiss passenger. God only knows what they have against the Swiss, but the poor girl had a 4 hour wait to get issued a visa. The delay meant that we had to drive well into the night on our 620km trip to Kande Beach which is where we are writing this from. Kande Beach is on the shores of Lake Milawi (the second largest river in Africa) and to say its huge is an understatement. It has waves and tides and a sandy beach and looks exactly like any sea you have ever seen. Would go diving here, but don't like the thought of the infamous parasites swimming up our you-know-wheres.

Lots of storms over the last few days and our guides tell us its starting to get into rainy season, so much for improving on our tans heh.

Thats all for now, speak to you soon folks.

Rik and Vik

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb