The Witch Doctor and Love Potion Number 9.......


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Chitimba Beach
August 14th 2010
Published: August 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

5th August Day 9 Chitimba Beach, Malawi
Kath and I decided to have a quiet day today as we were still recovering from the sangria night and the travels from the previous day…..we must be getting old!! Some of the group did the 36km round trip walk to Livingstonia Mission up in the hills but as it meant a 5am wake up it really didn’t appeal to us! Meanwhile some of the staff at the camp ground gave Freddy a bath inside and out…we’d managed to trapse a whole lot of mud inside back in the forest and it wasn’t pretty!

We slept in past 8am…a treat after so many early mornings and had a leisurely morning chatting with the others who’d stayed behind and visiting the craft market stalls just outside the camp gates. We bought a few things including a table that I then had to post home…..it seemed like a great idea at the time!
After the best lunch we’d had so far on the trip of avocado salad made with avocados bigger than I’d ever seen. Afterwards we lay on the beach for a while and I went for a walk along the water….it’s hard to believe that the beach is actually on a lake as it has gorgeous white sand and the lake is so huge that you can’t see the other side….which is actually Mozambique.

Leona our 84 year old grandmother had met a local guy earlier in the day who had talked about the witch doctor in the village nearby and had arranged for a few of us to go and see him. So we set off walking through the village, Kath and I both thinking it was seriously dodgy. The doctor was in when we arrived but took quite a while to prepare for us….putting on his outfit complete with metal bells around his waist and ankles. He performed a ritual dance and dragged Kath and Leona up for a dance….I at this stage was feeling just a bit freaked out by the whole thing so wimped out and sat back and watched. He then went through the process of showing us his different potions……Love potion number 6 and of course number 9…not sure what they were for but they smelled pretty bad. He then told us our future which started with us holding onto an ampule that he had around his neck and him getting a freaky look on his face.
Unfortunately nothing he said enlightened me at all and in fact I think it was pretty much a replay of everything I’d told the guy who’d escorted us to the house……oh well it was good for a laugh!


Advertisement



22nd August 2010

Dodgy Dr.
Hi Trace, The photo of the Doctor still has me in stiches... What a lovely outfit. I am off to New Zealand next week for three weeks, staying in Auckland at Skycity Grand Hotel. I will be looking after Production Execution during Go Live. Should be a good trip, would have been nice to catch up but maybe next time. I am still loving the blog, enjoy yourself and I look forward to the next entry. PS. Still raining and very cold in Adelaide.xxx

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb