Madagscar Chameleons


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
December 26th 2012
Published: December 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Madagascar is home to about half the world's 150 or so species of chameleons,

Chameleons are small to mid-size reptiles that are famous for their ability to dramatically change colors. Contrary to popular belief, a chameleon typically does not change colors to match its surroundings. Instead, color is usually used to convey emotions (kind of like the mood rings of the 1970's), defend territories, and communicate with mates.

Other easily noted characteristics of chameleons include bulging eyes that move independently of one another, feet fixed in a grasping position, and the existence of horns or crests on the heads of many species. Additionally, species that live in trees have prehensile tails used for grasping objects when climbing and moving. Finally, some species have long extensile tongues for catching insects or small vertebrates at a distance sometimes greater than the length of the chameleon.

Chameleons are solitary, and often aggressive towards members of their own species (marked by rapid color change and aggressive posturing). They are opportunistic hunters that wait for prey to pass within range of their long tongues. Chameleons have a bizarre way of moving in which they slowly rock back and forth between each step taken, often in time with the movement of nearby leaves being blown by the wind. Most chameleons lay eggs.

Other notes:


• The name "Chameleon" is derived from the Greek words chamai (on the ground, on the earth) and leon (lion) so their name means "earth lion."
• In some areas Malagasy fear chameleons. They are also the subject of some well-known local proverbs including “Manaova toy ny dian-tana jerena ny aloha, todihina ny afara,” which translates to "Like the chameleon, one eye on the future, one eye on the past"; "Ratsy karaha Kandrondro," meaning "ugly as a chameleon"; "Mahatsidia vokon' Anjava kely izy fa mafoaka," a warning to walk carefully so as not to step on a Brookesia, which would bring great misfortune.




Try not to be disgusted by the pictures!

Happy Boxing Day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



26th December 2012

Ugly
I agree....UUGGGLYYY! But hey, I've looked in the mirror and can't say it's always pretty!
27th December 2012

Very cute creatures
What a variety. Great photos.
27th December 2012

But theyre Beautiful!
I love this blog thanks - the chameleons are awesome :) glad you are enjoying your trip.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb