The Peyrieras Reserve


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
October 15th 2021
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

It looked like this tour might not go ahead due to poor signal but the perseverance of Hery & Rindra enabled us to enjoy a fabulous experience at The Peyrieras Reserve in the small village of Marozevo. This Reserve was created by a French entomologist with the main purpose to educate people to protect endangered animals including reptiles like chameleons, geckos.

True to form the chameleons were hard to see amongst the foliage, we saw a baby, a male and a beautiful turquoise female who all seemed quite oblivious to the people around them.

We saw them eat insects using their very long tongues.On average, a chameleon's tongue is roughly twice the length of its body but you would need to be quick to snap a postcard, I think a few voyagers were but sadly not be so I’ve added somd images I found online.

Hery,Rindra and the two guides set off to find the Sifakas, no guarantee but how lucky we were to come across a small family of them

Sifakas are lemurs. Local Malagasy people named them for the unique call they send echoing through Madagascar's forests, which sounds like shif-auk. Sifakas live in small
family groups of three to ten animals. It is believed that only one female from each group breeds, while males may move from group to group.

They spend most of their time in the trees, but don't get around in the same way that other lemurs do, they remain upright, and they leap quickly from tree to tree by jumping with their powerful hind legs. In this way, they clear distances of over 30 feet. They can also move quickly on the ground, which they do using a two-legged sideways hop.

A fabulous experience with https://www.heygo.com/tours/exclusive-immersion-into-the-world-of-chameleon-and-geckos


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb