Leaping Lemurs and Geckos Galore


Advertisement
Africa » Madagascar » Nosy Be
January 9th 2017
Published: January 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Volunteering was a blast! Nosy Komba, or Lemur Island, was where we based ourselves for a month. It is a small, road-free, volcanic island off the northwest coast of Madagascar, a few km boat ride from Hell-ville. Our time there working with the Madagascar Research and Conservation Institute (MRCI) was a bit of a flashback to our Junior Ranger days. Some hard work but loads of fun and lots of good... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


Frilled leaf-tail gecko. Frilled leaf-tail gecko.
Frilled leaf-tail gecko.

The holy grail of geckos.
Wild lemur survey.Wild lemur survey.
Wild lemur survey.

Kim, Nancy and our local lemur guru, Jimmy. This was one of the more challenging hikes as it was a long, steep, rocky clay climb, which was usually soaking wet. Up is hard work on your heart, down is hard on your butt!
Load and loads and loads of fun!Load and loads and loads of fun!
Load and loads and loads of fun!

Nancy added a couple of afternoons working with the Construction Project.
We are never too old to receive a pat on the back!We are never too old to receive a pat on the back!
We are never too old to receive a pat on the back!

"...stellar hikers, spectacular species identifiers, first aid crisis control, hours of data entry, super attitude, master mango foragers, dual project supporters, holiday clean up crew, debt payers..."
Euchre with our Canadian friendsEuchre with our Canadian friends
Euchre with our Canadian friends

Kim (17) from Quebec and Nicole (21) from the Yukon. We taught these young 'uns how to play... and quickly they started beating us.



26th February 2017

How does onw prepare for this awesome adventure?
Hi there! Wow! I love your story and I cannot wait to visit Nosy Komba myself!! My hubby and I are going there soon to di Forest volunteering, so what advise would you give us, in terms of what to pack, is there electricity at the camp to charge cameras, what snacks can one take with? Any advise would be welcome!!! Also, did you guys dive while being there? Thank so much!
10th March 2017

Hi, glad you liked our story. Sorry for the slow response, we are still on the road. Yeah we really enjoyed Nosy Komba! As for what to pack - they prep you pretty well for that, I think, but a few other suggestions: clothes that work well in the heat, and good bug dope. Yes, you can charge things in the main building when they put on the generator for an hour or two each day, I'd recommend a solar charger. You can get snacks in Hell-vile, but one thing you might want to bring is peanut butter if you like it as much as I do. You can get it in Hellville too but it is kind of expensive. We didn't dive at all, but there is a decent reef right off the camp. Have a great time if you go!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb