Peace ponies


Advertisement
Lesotho's flag
Africa » Lesotho » Sani Top
November 20th 2008
Published: November 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Firstly I had better explain that we didnt actually go to Lesotho as we didnt have enough time but we were a stones throw away so I'd thought I would add it!
We arrived at the Khotso Horse ranch at lunch time and were immediately awe insipired by the views.
The ranch was in teh mountain near the town of Uunderberg in the Southern Drackensburg region. I beleive the ranch was approx 1500m above sea level and there were still huge mountains looking down on us.
We had booked a rondavel as we had stayed in similar type accomadation and was basically a round house with a thatched roof. We did not realise until we arrived that it was a whole house with a kitchen, up stairs and lounge. Impressive. Its quiet season at the mo so a had the lodge area of the ranch to ourselves. Quite cool but very spooky in the pitch black of night.
well after a bit of a walk and a good night sleep we rose to embark on an all day pony trek. And yes before you ask Ryan was willing before we left. Well there were 3 little Khotso ponies tied up and ready for our day's adventure. Ther 3rd was for our guide - Eric a Lesotho man born and bred.
They were very little and tacked up in western type saddles which took a little getting used to.
Well they didnt look much but I can tell you that they were the fittest most honest, nimble ponies I have ever come across. They could rock climb like a mountain goat and were so sure footed on the steepest of cliffs it was very reassuring.
Well Ryan deserves a gold medal because in typical african way we headed off with him in charge of his own horse - I was a little nervous of this but I suppose I expected but thought it would be ok as we were only walking.
Well eric had different ideas!! Ryan boldly endured the bouncing of trooting with our being able to rise but by the end of the 4th hour he had developed some skill after telling him the secrets on one two one two....
Trotting wasnt enough for Eric and the ponies seemed to know where they were meant to walk and not walk. Basically by the end of the ride Ryan was galloping along side the rest of us!!!!
He did really well but is a little sore now.
All in all it was really fun day out with those amasing ponies.
ps Khotso means peace in Sotho


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb