The Ultimate Guide about the Incredible Wildebeest Migration Safaris


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
October 2nd 2023
Published: October 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

As part of the Great Wildebeest Migration Safaris, millions of animals travel from Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to Maasai Mara in Kenya every year. All sorts of antelopes fall under this category. This includes from wildebeest to zebras to Thomson's gazelles to Grant's gazelles. Along their route, the animals will encounter dangerous predators like lions, cheetahs, and crocodiles.

The annual Serengeti Migration was chosen as one of the Seven New Wonders of the World. It is widely considered to be one of the most impressive natural phenomena on our planet. Following the rains, roughly 1.5 million wildebeest, 400,000 zebras, and 200,000 gazelles congregate each year in Tanzania's Serengeti National Park and Kenya's Maasai Mara Game Reserve.

How come wildebeests go on such long migrates?

The Great Serengeti Migration's wildebeests are on the move to find water. The herds cross the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem in search of fresh grazing and water. As the seasons change, they go clockwise around the world in search of the best grazing.

A loop of roughly 400 kilometres is used during the Great Serengeti Migration. Wildebeest can cover up to 1,500 miles annually. But they don't all move in a straight line. Some of them even loop back on themselves.

What percentage of wildebeest survives the migration?

About 250,000 of the nearly 1.5 million wildebeest that take part in the annual Serengeti Migration die. Crocodiles in the rivers and predators following the herds both kill people every year. Many more people are killed by thirst or exhaustion.

During the Great Migration, what kinds of animals you will see?

About 1.5 million wildebeest, 400 thousand zebras, and 200 thousand gazelles migrate each year. During the migration, you can see a wide variety of antelopes, including Thomson's gazelle, Grant's gazelle, and others. Predators like crocodiles, lions, cheetahs, and hyenas should be avoided at all costs.

You can't possibly observe every species simultaneously. Different animals assemble at different points along the trail due to their individual feeding preferences. Certain times of the day, typically when the temperature is lower, are when predators are most active.

River crossings during the Great Wildebeest Migration Safaris

A common misconception about the Great Wildebeest Migration is that it is all about watching hundreds of animals flood the Mara River all at once. They have to cross to the other side, where there is plenty of food. But they have to be careful of the crocodiles.

River crossings, no matter how incredible they may seem, are always risky. The annual arrival date of the herds is dependent on the onset of the rainy season. If animals don't immediately cross the river upon reaching the bank, they may wait or even retreat.

Conclusion

Both Kenya and Tanzania offer excellent opportunities to view the Great Wildebeest Migration. Maasai Mara in Kenya is a great place to see the yearly Mara river crossings. The herds spend most of the year in Tanzania's Serengeti National Park.

When choosing a country to live in, many factors should be taken into account. If you want suggestions that are specific to your interests and needs, talk to one of our trip planners.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.62s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb