How can so little mean so much?


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
April 9th 2011
Published: April 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post


As we see and experience the overwhelming needs of the people we are working with we are finding that the simplest things bring so much joy and thankfulness. We have shook thousands of hands and have been met with wonderful smiles. Everyone wants to meet us. It’s hard to believe that a few soccer balls for a school of 650 students, a soccer team, and an orphanage could be met with so much gratitude. Or how about the worman I met at the grocery store? I let her use her points card for my purchases. You’d think I had given her a hundred dollars for the thanks she heaped upon me.

One of the drivers for the ministry couldn’t afford the $12 it would take for his wife to come to the conference by bus. It was so nice to help him because he couldn’t afford it and it meant a lot to him.

We are now into the second day of the big conference at Liavo church. It was originally supposed to start on Thurs. evening but because of many challenges didn’t actually start until Friday. So our schedules go something like this. The first service begins at 9:00 am, then we break into groups from 11:00 – 1:00. Lunch is supposedly from 1:00 until 2:00. Then we have another service beginning at 2:00 with more sessions in the afternoon. It’s hard to know if there are 300 or 600 in attendance. I have been doing the women’s sessions and helping with the children in the afternoon. Last night the final service didn’t start until 10:30. It went until midnight and then the people watched the Living Bible DVD throughout the night. I know the Morning Glory started at 5:00 am. We weren’t in attendance for that! Not much time for resting or preparing but all is going well. On Sunday the final service will be held and the attendees will board matatus and the ministry bus to make their way back home. We will pack up Sunday evening and hope to stop at the Nakiru Game Park on Monday before the trip back to Nairobi.

We’ve enjoyed listening to a group from Uganda in attendance. They brought their homemade instruments and sang so well. The stringed instruments looked like they were strung with twine but were in tune with the choir.

Since we’re staying on the same grounds as the Children’s Home we’ve had fun playing with the children and getting to know them. The youngest child was so frightened of us at first but now gives us “high fives”. He’s about a year and a half old so probably hadn’t seen white people before.

Electricity was out for eighteen hours yesterday. Some thieves had stolen the transformers. Always something going on.

Karen


Advertisement



9th April 2011

Your detailed accounts
Thanks for going into detail about your blessed experiences. I contiunue to pray for you. Love, Gladys

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb