Don't Forget the First Rule


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
April 6th 2011
Published: April 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The first rule when traveling around Kenya with Pastor Timothy is to always bring everything – just in case. Though I know this rule from our previous trip I’ve now broken it twice and had to make due with no materials. On March 31st we traveled by Timothy’s Toyota truck to the Kakemega area, which is about three hours away. Here is a private Christian school that is run by GCM. It is named GCM Academy.It is a primary school with about 120 students. Seventy of these children are orphans. This area has a high rate of aids and the children are suffering. Dorcas, one of Timothy’s daughters, works as an aide at the school. In addition she is the primary care giver for 17 of the orphans from the Children’s Home. They stay in rented rooms about two miles from the school. At 19 yrs. of age this seems like a tremendous responsibility. She is so capable and it’s been great visiting with her. From the shy 16 year old that we met in 2007, she has now growen into a confident, beautiful, capable young women.

When we arrived at the school to teach the children there were over 80 adults waiting as well. So Timothy decided Gary would preach to the adults while we met with the students. Then he said after that I would share with the women. Of course, I didn’t have a Bible, my prepared lessons, or my reading glasses. Some of the points of a prepared lesson came to me and it all worked out fine. The questions the women asked were the most difficult. “What should I do when my husband has left our house and slept with many women? Do I allow him back when he no doubt is HIV positive?” one woman asked. Where does one even start with a question like that when to allow him back is basically a death sentence for her. As you can see there are lots of challenges in this culture since the Dowry system is still practiced.

Everyday life is filled with so many hardships for the Kenyan people. The woman have such heavy, physical tasks to complete. I just finished washing clothes for a couple of hours. Carrying five gallon pails of water and heavy hand scrubbing, as well as wringing out dirty jeans is not my idea of fun. But these temporary inconveniences are nothing compared to the wonderful hospitality and the Christian love we see in their service to us.

As you can see, we are having computer difficulties. Don’t know if we’ll be able to update again. We appreciate your prayers as they are certainly sustaining us each day.

Karen


Advertisement



6th April 2011

PTL
Thank you so much for the updates. What a challenge! The Lord is answering prayer giving you strength, wisdom, health and all for the momentous task. We have been so blest by your writings. "He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater, He giveth more strength when the labors increase, To added affliction He addeth His mercy, to multiplied trials, His multiplied peace." A blessing to us right at this time in our lives. PTL for answered prayer!
6th April 2011

Thank you so much for taking time to share with us parts of your ministry. Continue to pray that God will give you wisdom and discernment as you share the basic truths of god's love with all you come in contact with. God bless you with strength for each day.
6th April 2011

Lots of challenges . . .
Arrived at Paul's last night and were home by noon today. Resting a big before more unpacking. Praying that God continues to give you strength and grace as you work in Kenya. Love and hugs, Bonnie PS, had a very nice visit with Kay and Tim Hughes.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb