Kenya is safe as a tourist destination


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
November 9th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Since the kidnappings and murders of British tourists and expats by armed gangs in the Lamu area earlier this year, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO, see fco.gov.uk) has advised against all but essential travel to anywhere within 60km of the Somali border, and coastal areas within 150km of the border, including Lamu. It also warns that there is a general threat of terrorism throughout Kenya.

Travelling against FCO advice invalidates British travel insurance, and most UK tour operators have suspended trips to Lamu. However, operators say other tourist spots are safe. "Most of Kenya, including the Masai Mara and the major reserves are safe,
In Narok, the Narok and Transmara county councils are working with the Kenya Wildlife Service to boost security in the Masai Mara Game Reserve.

Narok KWS Senior Warden Kenneth Naashu said they would provide the civic councils with helicopters to monitor the park in the face of the Al Shabaab terror threat.

KWS Director, Julius Kipng’etich flew to the Mara on Tuesday to assess the security situation in the world- famous reserve, and to launch regular aerial surveillance.

On Monday, German Ambassador Margit Hellwig-Boette reassured visitors that Kenya is a safe holiday destination.

Addressing a function in Nairobi for German NGOs operating in East Africa, the envoy said the Government has beefed up security and tourists continue to arrive.

"Security risks are not there in all parts of the country. Despite the recent incidents of kidnappings, there is no slowing down of tourists coming to Kenya," she said.

Germany is a key source of tourists for Kenya, sending up to 60,000 visitors to Kenya last year, making it the fourth leading after Britain, the US, and Italy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb