Maasai Mara Annual Wildebeests Migration Safari is open for bookings by Victoria Safaris


Advertisement
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Maasai Mara NP

The Maasai Mara National park.

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
By James Asudi - CEO, Victoria Safaris

(The New 7th wonder of the world, 4th preferred tourist destination of the world-Maasai Mara National Reserve, Africa's greatest wildlife reserve, hosts the world’s greatest natural spectacle - The Annual Wildebeest Migration also totted to be the world's greatest game show,wilderness Maasai Mara, Masai Mara, Africa Maasai Mara, Kenya Maasai Mara, Masai Mara safari lodges and camps. Masai Mara migration, Maasai Mara By Air, Hot Air Ballooning in Maasai Mara, Flying Safaris over the Maasai Mara.)

The Great Annual Migration

The Maasai Mara Game Reserve is considered to be Africa’s greatest wildlife reserve.The Maasai Mara game reserve is rated the 4th (forth) best tourist destination in the world and lately named the New 7th (seventh) wonder of the world by the ABC.It is located in the South Western part of Kenya.The Maasai Mara and the Serengeti plains covers 10,000 sq miles of open plains, woodlands and Riverine forest. Maasai Mara is usually referred to as "The Mara"which in the Maasai word means patchy landscape.The spelling of "Masai" and "Maasai"are both acceptable,the latter refers to the people.The Masai Mara is both referred to as a Game Reserve and a National Reserve. It is also treated as a National Park.This is because Masai Mara is managed both by the local authority and the Kenya Wildlife Service. Reserves allow camp sites, lodges and the settlement of local tribes people with their cattle, while the National Parks are normally managed centrally and do not allow human in habitation apart from people on safari and park rangers in the parks.Both management co-exist in the Mara. The Mara is an awesome natural wonder, a place where Maasai warriors share the plains with hunting lions, a place of mighty herds and timeless cycles of life, death and regeneration. It spreads into the plains of Serengeti National Reserve in Tanzania.The Loita Hills and the Nguruman Escarpment, both considered sacred to the Maasai, offer high forest trekking opportunities for the adventurous traveler.
Maasai People

The Masai as a people
These are a semi-nomadic cattle rearing community who still practice their culture which is fascinating.They are divided into several sub-tribes spread within Kenya and Tanzania,some of whom share the Mara Region. Being nomads,their life-style depend entirely on cattle thus their special relationship with cattle.The Maasai are a strongly independent people who still value tradition and ritual as an integral part of their everyday lives. They regard themselves not just as residents of this area but that they are as much a part of the life of the land as the land is part of their lives .Traditionally, the Maasai rarely hunt and living alongside wildlife in harmony is an important part of their beliefs. Lions and Wildebeest play as important a role in their cultural beliefs as their own herds of cattle. This unique co-existence of man and wildlife makes this Maasai land one of the world’s most unique wilderness regions.The Maasai have survived a troubled history but are under increasing pressure to conform with modern society which they are slowly accepting due to climate change.

Maasai Mara - 4th Preferred Tourist Destination in the world
Maasai Mara is rated the fourth preferred tourist destination in the world due to its uniqueness of the area and preservation it provides to so many species living in harmony among the maasai tries men.It has over 1.5 million wildebeests,more than 500,000 gazelles and more than 200,000 zebras constantly in the move for search of grass and water.In addition to these are the Lions,leopards,cheetahs,hyenas and other smaller predators such as the Jackals and the vultures who are constantly in the move hunting for the other animals.The annual animal ritual in search of lush grass-The annual migration is the spectacle activity which makes Maasai Mara one of the most preferred tourist destinations of the world. Visitor population during the months of july to october outstretch the accommodation available in the Maasai Mara. Visitors are therefore requested to book and confirm there arrivals way long enough to secure accommodation availability. You have not seen wildlife game in africa until you visit the Maasai Mara in Kenya.

Maasai Mara - The New 7th wonder of the world
Maasai Mara and Serengeti and the wildebeest migration has lately been declared the New 7Th (seventh) wonder of the world by ABC.This has been decided by a panel of experts which included an oceanographer- M/s silvia Earlier,range and wildlife management expert,astrophysicist-Neil de Grasse Tyson and a tour expert invited by ABC after six days rigorous selection and classification exercise which ended on 17th November 2006 with a breakfast TV show "Good Morning America" televising a live interview with the Kenya wildlife director.

The New wonders are separate from the conventional Seven Wonders of the world known for centuries and which are classified by UNESCO. These are classified by ABC and they include the following in chronological order;"Tibet's Potala Palace,selected for the hope it provides to exiled Tibetans that one day they will return to their homeland;the Old Jerusalem CIty,which is holy to both Muslims and Christians;the Polar Ice Caps in Iceland for the mixture of cold frozen glaciers and volcanoes;the under wetter Hawaiian Island's Monument,a protected underwater coral reef;the Internet-described as a world where anything is possible and the Mayan Pyramids in Cancun,Mexico,whose site was described as breathing;then followed with the Maasai Mara and Serengeti and the wildebeest migration,for its uniqueness of the area and the preservation it provides to so many species living in harmony."

Maasai Mara and the "Big Nine"
Maasai Mara is the best place to see wildlife in Kenya.It is at the Mara that you will see "The Big Nine", The so-called "Big Five" are Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion and Rhinoceros. The "Big Nine" extends this to include Cheetah, Zebra, Giraffe and Hippo. The vast grassland plains of Maasai Mara are scattered with herds of Zebra, Giraffe, Gazelle, and Topi. Elephants and Buffalo wallow in the wide Musiara Swamp. The Mara and Talek rivers are brimming with Hippos and Crocodiles. All these and more will definitely be seen at the Masai Mara without any hustle. The Acacia forests abound with Bird life and Monkeys. Masai Mara has over 500 wildlife species thus making it the most preferred tourist destination by those who want to take close photographs of wildlife.

The Annual Great Wildebeest Migration in Maasai Mara
This is the most tourist attraction within the years. Every year the Mara plays host to the world’s greatest natural spectacle; The Great Wildebeest Migration from the Serengeti. From the months of July to October, the promise of rain and fresh life giving grass in the north brings more than 1.5 million Wildebeest together into a single massive herd. They converge across the border into the Mara, making a spectacular entrance in a surging column of life that stretches from horizon to horizon.The miracle of the Great Migration is that the animals mysteriously find their way.

Wildebeest in the Maasai Mara

The wildebeests bring balance to the fragile ecosystem.They are the heart and soul of the Great Migration-which is lush with new grass.There's even a pattern to the way they eat grass; First, the zebras come. "The zebra seems to be eating top grass, the wildebeest go for the middle then the herd beasts,the gazelles go for the lowest part". At Grumeti and Mara Rivers they mass together on the banks before finally plunging wildly forward through the raging waters, creating a frenzy as they fight against swift currents and waiting crocodiles which start feasting on them.

Even though some are devoured by the reptiles and others trampled upon, thousands make it across and,after three to five months of feeding and fattening,they start the journey back in late november,depending on how green the grass is on the other side of the river. The migration of the wildebeest and other animals bring new life to the Mara, not just through their cycle of regeneration of the grasslands, but for the predators who follow the herds.The Mara has been called the Kingdom of Lions and these regal and powerful hunters dominate these grasslands. Cheetah are also a common sight in the Mara, as are Hyena and smaller predators such as Jackals.

The Annual Wildebeests Migratory Cycle

The annual wildebeest migration in Kenya and Tanzania is the most spectacular natural event in Africa. This event which usually starts in late June to early July every year since time immemorial. Annually,in May, over 3 million animals depart the Western Corridor for the northern Serengeti plains and in the month of July, the herds cross the mostly dry tributary of the Serengeti - Mara ecosystem which is part of the boundary line between Kenya and Tanzania - The Sand River. These animals usually do not know that they are migrating as they mow the grass along the Migration triangle until when they reach the banks of the River Mara, by this time they will have passed into the Kenyan Maasai Mara without noticing since there exists an artificial border. The Migration follows westwards, leading the Wildebeests(gnus) to face the major challenge along their quest; crossing the Mara river and also frequently,its tributary, the Talek. On seeing the fresh, tender and mineral-rich pastures on the other side of the river Mara, in Masai Mara,the gnus trekkers along the bank of the Mara river looking for a suitable point to cross. There are many preferred crossings points along the river, which are easily identifiable by the animals since they can be seen from both sides of the river. These are the depressed slopes and the deep grooves carved by the animals' hooves. These are the secure places to cross the river since they ensure a least mortality.

However, the arrangement of the whole crossing program sometimes seems to fail, and the nervous Wildebeests herds usually choose places where the banks are too steep and many of the animals break their legs down the cliff. The animals will then plunge into the River Mara, this seems to haul the rest of the herd which marches forward without fear of the awaiting trunk-looking basking Crocodiles that populate the steep banks of the Mara River, ready to celebrate their annual feasting. Other animals follow in a single line across the river, while the lagged ones throw themselves towards the stream until the rearguard pushes the troops to a frantic race that ends up with some animals trampled to death. The crossing of the river is the most fascinating along the migration, and this seems to place the gnus in a state of anxiety that only relieves when the whole herd has crossed and are on the other side of the river. After crossing the river, herds gather at various points and wander around nervously. Thereafter,a team leader will then take the lead and approach the rim, surveying the opposite side to ascertain if any danger awaits after the crossing. During the months of July and August, the crossings repeat over and over, and the survivors graze peacefully on the Mara Triangle grasslands. The Predators,the lion and cheetah usually on their heels in the early-morning and late-evening hunting spree. The cheetah preying on the calves. Towards end of October, the animals will have eaten nearly all the best grass and the rains also head south back to the Serengeti. Then the migration reverses, bringing the herds to face once more the quest for the southern grasslands. The crossing of the Mara river is again a must. By the end of October, the migration heads towards the vast plains of the southern Serengeti, where a new generation of calves will be born to start the cycle of life all over again. Often, over a million animals can be seen stretched out. Normally the route is down the eastern side and the pace is fast.

Where can you stay - Lodges, Luxury Tented Camps and campsites in the Maasai Mara
There are a number of Lodges within the Masai Mara.These include among others; Keekorok, Mara Serena, Mara Sopa, Mara Sun Lodge, and Camps which include; Fig Tree, Governor's, Kichwa Tembo, Mara Buffalo, Siana Intrepids, Mara Safari Club, Mara River, Mara Sarova, plus other campsites on the Talek River and near some of the Gates to the Masai Mara Game Reserve.

Victoria Safaris takes You to the Maasai Mara
Victoria Safaris makes all traveling (Road & Air) Safaris and Tours, Lodge and camping bookings for visitors intending to visit the Mara at a discounted Rate. The point of road access to Masai Mara is Narok, a 5 hour drive from Nairobi. Some people choose to Fly to the Mara, which is serviced by a number of airstrips. There are daily scheduled flights from Nairobi, and the coast - Mombasa. Private Charters also use these strips. Accessing the Mara area is difficult without private transport. Most visitors come to Maasai Mara as part of a Safari package from Nairobi. The park has well established internal roads and tracks. Victoria Safaris can arrange specialized tours, treks or hikes.

See;
http://www.victoriasafaris.com
http://www.maasaimaraways.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb