Magnificent Masai Mara


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Close call... 9 secs
A long time ago, before the automobile, skyscrapers and sprawling, polluting metropolis's sprang up all over the world, there existed an ecosystem that worked in perfect harmony. Carissa and I have been fortunate enough to have expierenced a glimpse of what such a world might have been like having spent the last three days on the Masai Mara. It literally feels like a step back in time mixed in with a whole lot of 'Lion King' as you weave amongst huge herds of game and face off with some of the most fearsome yet majestic wild animals on earth.
The Masai Mara National Park is located in the south of Kenya. The park itself continues for hundreds of kilometres south into Tanzania where it becomes the Serengeti National Park. The Maasai word Mara translates to 'spotted land' and it was easy to see why from the air as we landed on the dirt runway. The thousands of Acacia trees dotted below resembled that of a cheetah's spots. The Mara is world renowned for the high concentration and diversity of game that is located in a relatively small portion of the world. This is especially apparent in the months of July and August as tens of thousands of wildebeest migrate north from the Serengeti in the colder months in search of greener pastures.
The great migration is a wonder of the world and we were fortunate to quite simply be in the right place at the right time to witness the crossing of the Mara River by the wildebeest. Our brilliant guide Massek, an indigenous Maasai knew the park like the back of his hand and managed to bring us face to face with all of the 'big five' (rhino, lion, leopard, elephant, water buffalo) bar the elusive leopard (which we were happy enough to substitute with cheetah). This was in addition to the hyena, giraffes, hippo's, osteriches, warthogs, crocodiles, vultures, impala, gazelle, eland, topi, eagles, and far too many zebra, just to name a few.
Massek was an expert in all things bird-related. It was almost freakish if you like that kind of thing. To his credit he also got us front row seats to what is one of the greatest wildlife shows on earth. We lined up next to national geographic as we witnessed hundreds of wildebeest run headlong into the river. Despite the sheer numbers of the beasts it truly is a patience game to be priviliged enough to witness a crossing. Often the wildebeest will stall on the bank for hours, sometimes days, before either one is brave enough to lead the way, or sheer numbers simply build to the point that the lead wildebeest are pushed into the water.
Unfortunately these creatures are not ' the sharpest tool in the shed' and the crossing is fraught with danger. Often they will break legs or are crushed as thousands more follow behind, not to mention when they try and cross at a point where the river bank is too steep on the other side, as we witnessed. As if this wasn't enough to contend with, there is no shortage of HUGE crocodiles under the surface of the water just waiting to attack the helpless beasts. In the chaos the wildebeest would cross and then turn around and come back to the same side.
Now all this wandering through the bush made for hard work so it was only fitting that we were rewarded at the end of each day with fantastic food and incredible lodgings that looked out upon the savannah. Kichwa Tembo tented camp is exactly not what the name suggests. It was quite literally 5 star luxury in the bush and comes highly recommended. I must say a very big thank you at this point to the in-laws for what was truly a remarkable birthday present and an unforgettable few days.
Carissa and I have since bid the family farewell and must continue this arduous journey alone. We are now to embark on somewhat of a downgraded tented camping safari for the next few days - where the name is quite literally what it suggests.

P.S Check out the video - swim at your own risk...

Until next time. Hoo Roo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



31st July 2008

Is that a croc in the water? Trip looks amazing! See ya in Perth so soon jez.
31st July 2008

How good
Jezz, that looks absolutely awesome!! I love your titles for photo's they are just perfect lame dad jokes, i especially love "lion around" Your going to make a good father embarrassing his kids at will. Wish i was there Rhys
5th August 2008

just for the record that was carissa's idea - but yes its pure gold 'dad material'

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb