New 7th WONDER OF THE WORLD!!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
December 12th 2007
Published: December 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New 7th WONDER OF THE WORLD!!



In my short life I have always wondered why there are wonders of the world and who said they are wonders. I thought to myself, I am a wonder in itself and all should come and see this beautiful lady of the soil a blessing from Heaven to mother earth. In my quest for knowledge I happened to browse and found my blessed mother country Kenya, but do I say....had been bestowed a prestigious position being recognised as host of the New 7th wonder! Well u agree with me this is promising and shows the richness of Africa. Bestowed with the pyramids in Egypt the naturals of Ngorongoro crater and Victoria falls. Now we have the Great Wild Beast migration twice a year to and from Serengeti - Maasai Mara.

This in itself made my heart bubble an made me embark on a journey to see what this really meant. There are several beautiful lodges surrounding the Mara Reserve and Serengeti among them exquisite Mara Fairemont Hotel. The road is a bit rough giving the best definition of a real Safari. You actually get a free and true safari massage as u drive down to Mara. There are light aircrafts for those who love the aerial view going to the reserve.

Amazingly is the synergy of the wild animals in the reserve as they strive to survive in the wild. The rule of the jungle being survival fo the fittest from the big five to the tiniest of the ant in the anthill.

The Facts on Wilderbeest migration from magical was actually mind blowing and could not help but sharing with you this:

The incredible annual migration of over a million Wildebeest from the Serengeti plains to the Mara has been described as being one of the most awe inspiring sights on earth. The sheer spectacle of this event draws visitors keen to witness one of the planet’s largest and most fascinating natural cycles to Kenya each year, and is regarded as the planet's greatest natural spectacle-

The central migratory herds of over 1.3 million wildebeest spend much of the year grazing throughout the plains of the Serengeti. The herds calve in January to March, the young born ready to make their first, epic journey. In June, as the dry season withers the grasslands and a distant scent of moisture brings promise of rain in the north, they begin to gather, massing together to form a single vast herd.

They pour northwards, a pulsing, surging column of life. The sound of the approaching herd is a deep, primal rumbling of thundering hooves and low grunts. This endless grey river of life is mottled with black and white as zebras join the throng, drawn onwards in the search for the rains and fresh life giving grass.

By July the herds begin crossing from Tanzania to Kenya, bringing the plains to life as predators are drawn to this perfect opportunity for easy hunting.

At the edge of the Maasai Mara the herds face their greatest obstacle, a series of rivers that must be crossed. At the Mara River the herds gather at the banks, piling together in front of the broad fast flowing waters. As the pressure built the herds finally surge into the river, many animals hurling themselves off high banks.

As they struggle across the rivers many are drowned or swept away by strong currents. The crossing attracts massive crocodiles who each year await this season of bounty. There is always great frenzy in the waters as the crocodiles plunge into the herds and pull down the prey, as the mounting pressure on the shore pushes more and more animals into the water.

As they reach their goal, the herds spread out to graze across the expanse of the Mara. October sees the herds turn southward and repeat the same journey back to the Serengeti, where the renewed grasslands await.

Well this tells you that you have to make your way down to the Mara or Serengeti for this spectacular show in June and October for the Wonder of your life.

See u then in the WONDER!!

Baraka!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb