Safari


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Nakuru NP
February 24th 2009
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Samburu National ReserveSamburu National ReserveSamburu National Reserve

Matthew and Hal (Hal's the one on the right) are up so early we had to wait for the sun to come up to enter the park. Talk about anxious.
Over the next three days we traveled to three game parks: Samburu National Reserve, Aberdare National Park near Nyeri Kenya and Lake Nakuru National Park. The hotel accommodations were far nicer that before. The hotel in Nyeri was originally a game camp for wealthy British that was built in the early 1930’s. The grounds were lovely, the room was enormous and the food was terrific. It was easily the most luxurious hotel we had encountered so far. The hotel in Nakuru was a moderate business class hotel that suited us just fine.

We arrived at the Samburu park so early that we had to wait for the sun to come up so we could see any animals when we entered the park. It was well worth the wait as for the next few hours we overdosed on viewing wild and exotic animals. That overdosing continued for the next two days as well.

Here are just a few of the over 1,000 pictures we took during these three days, including our stop at the Equator between Samburu and Aberdare parks. During our travels between the parks, we drove around Mt. Kenya. The mountain is situated on the Equator and at the top of the mountain, there’s snow. I never knew there was snow on the Equator.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

OryxOryx
Oryx

pretty animal - I never heard of this one before
ElephantElephant
Elephant

The elephant is feeding by kicking up the turf with a front foot. After shaking the dirt out of the sod, he eats the grass and is followed by a flock of guinea fowl who look for tasty worms in the newly-disturbed dirt.
GeranukGeranuk
Geranuk

another pretty animal I'd never heard of before. This one is standing on his hind legs to eat the vegitation from the tree. Amazing!
ImpalaImpala
Impala

no, not the Chevy kind
Dik-DikDik-Dik
Dik-Dik

cute little guys and quicker than all get out
EquatorEquator
Equator

Here we are and have the sign to prove it! The next day we actually crossed the equator twice again, once going north and then again going south.
WarthogsWarthogs
Warthogs

Cheryl fell in love with these animals. I think they remind her of me. She took 32 pictures of this mother and baby alone.
RhinosRhinos
Rhinos

They are about to fight over the baby.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb