Safari - day 2


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Nakuru NP
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Started the safari yesterday with an eventful morning - at the time we thought a suicide bomber had blown up part of Nairobi, so we had to get out of Nairobi pretty quickly! It turned out in the end to be a local gang member trying to kill police whose grenade went off in his pocket in a cafe by accident. Still pretty scary though! It was only a couple of streets away from my hotel (I didn't hear anything though).

Travelled most of the day yesterday in the safari truck (an enormous yellow beast!) to get to a campsite close to the lake nakuru national park, with one short stop at nakuru town. The journey was really bumpy - much worse than a rough sea for about 2 hours, i thought the truck was actually going to tip over at one point! When we finally arrived at the campsite at about 7pm we set up camp and went to the bar to have some food and drink. Everyone seems really friendly, and I have almost learnt all their names already - I'm quite impressed with that seeing as though there are 24 of us altogether. We're all staying in three man tents with two to a tent, and I'm sharing with a lovely girl called Leia from lancaster.

After a late night last night getting to know each other in the bar we got up for an early breakfast and a few of us went on a tour of the farm we were camping at. The first animals I got a picture of in Africa were cows! All the farmworkers live on the farm with their families, and we went to see the school that the children (4/5yr olds) go to - they sang 6 songs to us, and then we had to sing one for them (twinkle twinkle little star)! We then packed up camp and set off in the truck again, and are now back in nakuru town picking up supplies before heading to the national game park, where we will spend the next 24 hrs, hopefully spotting lots of animals!

Not sure when I'll next have access to the internet, but will try to upload some photos next time if I remember my camera cable!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb