Wuzungu on the move


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Naivasha
November 11th 2000
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Matatu = white minivan fitted with fourteen seats to accommodate thirty-five Africans + their babies, baskets, chickens and fish.


After deciding it didn't feel right to trek Mt. Kenya in Nanyuki, we took the big bus to Nairobi! Big, notorious city. We made it very quickly to the nearby guesthouse, matatus everywhere! Everyone told us it's dangerous but it's clear now how really lawless it is. Police can be quite corrupt and don't work at all on Sunday(!) No respectable Kenyan is on the street then. After many warnings from the staff and horror stories of being mugged from other guests, we clenched our teeth to venture out for beer and Indian food.


Turns out EVERYTHING'S closed on the weekends and we may have to stay til Monday - get me out! Bright side - we met a nice guy from Minnesota named Kevin who has an even more ambitious travel plan than we do. He says he's looking for great places to someday travel with a love interest (when he finds her).


Goodbye Nairobi! (for now) After a successful visit to the Indian consulate to apply for visas, we got the hell outta Dodge. Our matatu took us over the most magnificent escarpment with a view of the Rift Valley from above. Stunning! I just wanted to run down the hill screaming into the Maasai plains. Another matatu ride and we arrived at Fisherman's Camp. The overland tour trucks brought so many wuzungu (white people) here, the most I've seen since we left Europe. It may be a camp but this is hardly roughing it. We set up our tent overlooking Lake Naivasha and we're sitting in the thatch-roofed bar with the sunset behind us and the lake and two beers in front of us - beautiful. They say hippos come out at night, we'll see.


Note: Hippos were here! 50 ft. from the tent! But it was too dark to see more than a big hippo shape and hear the munching of grass. That's one big pig!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb