Days 2, 3 and 4


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Gilgil
December 11th 2011
Published: December 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 2

Melville team arrived for their first day in Nairobi Some orientation and team briefing dinner at the Carnivore Restaurant ..... way too much meat!!!

Day 3

Up at 6am and off to Gilgil, 3 hour drive through some spectactular scenery.

Our first school visit to Eburru Primary School, amazing and emotional. A huge welcome from all the children and their parents, lots of speeches and singing plus some traditional African food!

Our new desks arrived but unfortunately there was no sign of the delivery truck with all of our equipment.......

Then it was off to Kekopey, HSK'S flagship school and UBM's school for all its donations. Very emotional for Amie who expectedly balled it! Another presentation, had a look around the project site we will be working on next week!

Still no sign of the truck ...........

We finally managed to talk to the truck drivers who said they were 45 minutes away, hooray!!!

Two hours later still no sign of the truck ......

In the meantime Mark got stuck in with Kekopey students with some football coaching which they loved! One of the boys was so good Mark wants to scout him for Chelsea!!!

By now it was so dark and there was still no sign of the truck so we headed for the hotel to check in......... they did not have our boooking arghhh!!!! Whilst MC stayed to scare the hotel manager and sort things out, Amie headed to meet the truk with Mark, Steve and our guide and the driver.

We arrived to be met with some very unsavoury local interest in our vehicle. We soon realised this was likely to be an ambush and we hot-footed it out of there!! A restless night worried about the goods ........ Kenyan time not on our side today!

Day 4

A brand new day!

First stop Kekopey with the first delivery and then off to Ngecho - hoorah! Ngecho was very special as we had the head of HSBC Nairobi to present a £20,000 cheque to HSK to turn on the electricity at Ngecho!

We also presented them with their music and sports equipment and some very heavy safes!!

We aslo visited the primary school ........ some very cute and excited children!

The afternoon has been filled with lots of sports which has left the team shattered and with some very doggy tea shirt sun tans!!

We are now finally at our hotel and looking forward to the rest of the trip after some amazing days with the children.

Sorry there are no photos, very slow internet here but will try again soon.

Amie and MC

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb