Matatu's, boiled water and 150 hand dug holes


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So much has happenend since i last posted. i have to make this quick so i apologise for the spelling and grammar mistakes.

In Kisumu we visited Migosi Nursery school, cant remember if i told you this, the school is free for the poorer community and the kids are adorable. this would be their only chance at school since they have to have nursery school before they can start primary school. i gave them the puppets and they were a hit as were the balloons that one other girl gave and some bubble mixture.
Theres an awesome store here called Nakamatt that sells everything, including the kitchen sink, we go there for everything!
Odede is about 1.5 hrs from Kisumu if you are looking at a map of Kenya and can zoom in to lake victoria it is south from Bondo and west of Asembo, South of Ruma primary school but North of Ragengni. It wont show up on the map its too small.
Its super cute though the houses are really spread out, the are made of mud and have thatched roofs but they have to be rebuild fairly often coz the thatching isnt great quality. the place we are staying in is really nice, there are 3 bedrooms and we have 2 bunkbeds in each room so 4 ppl to a room. I am in a room that feels a bit like a filled in verandah but it works because we pretty much only sleep there. Oh and sleeping, we pretty much go to bed at 8 and get up at 7 its crazy we all sleep so much but we work so much that we get pretty tired.
There is no running water at the house so the showers are a concrete and tin cubicle outside where you take your bucket and wash. not too bad but the toilets!!!! The toilets are drop holes in a concrete floor that have families of spiders that come out at night. Ugh! Pretty bad at night we all avoid it if we can but they are ok during the day, just 'a few' flies. There was no electricity until last night just enough power to charge phones, we have no fridge (which i am really missing) so nothing cold, even milk is left out for a few days. We have to boil all our water, which is rain water, we dont have to drink the lake water thankfully, but boiling enough water for everyone is a full time job!
We started on the goat farm. for the first 2 days we dug holes about 70cm deep using a crowbar and our hands. 150 holes in total, fencing and building post holes. They were exhausting but im glad ive kinda used a crowbar before. Yesterday we started cementing in some of the posts. we had to mix the cement by hand and then shovel it into the holes. Fun times but it is really good work, the Fundis (the builder and labourers) are pretty nice although there are a few who are quite funny and like to trick us and we cant quite work them out.
Today is the day off and we have come into town (*hence the access to internet) i do have phone service where i am but ive run out of credit so ive not been texting people. If you want to text the best time to get an instant reply or a phone call is between 7 and 8 pm your time as that is in our lunch break (12-2pm) we stop then because it is too hot to work in the middle of the day.
Ive had a rather icky reaction to the malaria tablets, i have this raised bump rash that has come up on my hands and arms that is the most disgusting thing i have ever felt! but you cant see it thankfully. its from the sun i think so i have to start wearing long sleeves to try to protect myself.
Ok i should get off and give someone else a turn on the internet. Feel free to msg me and i can give you more details about it. This may be my last post for the next 2 weeks, i think i am going to go to church next week instead of coming into town. African church should be an awesome experience!!
Miss you all a lot,
Lindsie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb