Back From Bumala!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Oh my goodness! Thanks to all who have posted a comment. It's great to hear from back home during such a busy trip.

So I'm in charge of this next entry, which is great since Todd is in our hotel room doing my laundry! We are currently at the Utalii Hotel in Nairobi but it will be a short stay as we leave tomorrow for a 3-day safari on the Serengetti. We look forward to some relaxation time after our visit to Bumala.

Last Tuesday we flew in to Bumala which is a small rural town right on the western border next to Uganda. This is where Charles currently runs a school for children who have lost one or both parents to AIDS. There are 90 children in total and the school has baby class, class 1 and class 2. As you may know, One Child's Village is collaborating with Charles to build a new school for these children.

After the half-hour flight to Kisumu, we (me, Todd, Lili and Lew) were greeted by Charles and Pius at the airport. They escorted us to Bumala to meet the children and teachers. We were greeted in the usual ceremonious fashion! We were each graced with a lei of sorts and the children were very excited to see us. What we did not expect was the presence of many of the children's guardians and other people from the immediate community. Our presence and the fact that a new school is to be built in their area has become a significant community event -- even the "quality assurance/school inspector" attended our celebration and gave Charles and One Child's Village complete support for the construction of the school. It was truly amazing to see everyone implicated and showing their support. I think even Charles was a bit surprised at the community's warm response...

We toured the land on which the school will be built and found it to be in a great location with lots of construction potential. Upon returning to the current school, the children sang and danced for "the visitors". There was a grand finale with lots of drumming that I just could not resist -- so I jumped in and danced with the kids. The children were tickled pink...as was the rest of the community watching the celebration! I guess the music really was contagious as Todd joined in too. (We have the video tape to prove it ;-)

The dancing was followed by speeches by several community members as well as Todd, Lili, Lew and myself -- translated by Charles. It felt weird being on the podium, but I think it's starting to sink in for me just how important this new shool is for these members. It's more than a school -- I am told it represents hope for a better future and hope for a community that feels forgotten.

There is so much to tell, but I will fast forward to the next day when Charles took us to various homes of the children currently attending his school. We must have walked a total of 15km that day. Some of the children walk 5km to school and 5km back daily...and without shoes. Many people here are extremely poor. We spoke to several widows who were unsure how they would feed their children the next day. We spoke to grandmothers who now care for their grandchildren since the death of their own son or daughter to AIDS. These are things I had only read about... Yet their generosity knows no bounds. One woman who I suppose was doing well according to the local standards gave us a live chicken as a thank you for the new school we will build. Another gave us a pineapple and a papaya right off the tree. I feel mixed emotions as I accept the offering with hesitation, wondering if I am depriving them of their next meal.

I learned something interesting yet unfortunate about orphans in Kenya. Apparently in Kenyan culture, it is considered bad luck to take an orphan into your home if you have children of your own. It is said that the orphan will "take away blessings" from the other children. Consequently, many orphaned children are left to their own devices as society shuns them out of superstition. Charles recognizes the superstition and hopes to make a difference. Hence the Mercy Children's Centre motto: "To make a smile to an orphan"!

Next day we rented a bus and took 35 of the children and several of the teachers on an educational trip to the Kakamega forest. We had a mascot for the trip that was a gift from Peter -- a small teddy bear that was a beaver wearing an RCMP hat. I'm guessing they've never seen such a toy before. They each took turns holding it and gently passed it on to the person next to them so everyone could benefit. When it came time for the little girl sitting next to me to hold the teddy, she got out her hanky, wrapped the teddy in it, and proudly cradled it in her arms. She was just beaming... The teddy will stay with them at the school and they have named it "Mercy Cristelle". (Hmmm....)

At KEEP: Kakamega Environmental Education Program, the children learned about butterflies and tree nurseries and forest conservation and saw a video on wildlife. They loved it. Many of the children had never been on a field trip before -- but since none of them had shoes, we couldn't take a walk in the tropical forest...on acount of the poisonous snakes. It was great spending quality time with the children. It was a special treat when I got to ride home on the bus with them. They broke out into song spontaneously. I will leave you with the lyrics:

I am a doctor. For you, for education.
I am a lawyer. For you, for education.
I am a farmer. For you, for education.
I am a teacher. For you, for education.
Education is power! Education is living!

I got it on my recorder, so hopefully we can load it up onto the website when we get to Canada.

Off at 7:00am tomorrow for a 5-hour drive to Masai Mara to see some wild life. Now I gotta go see if my laundry is done ;-)




Advertisement



29th June 2007

Wish I was there
Hey Uncle Todd, why didn't you take me with you?!?!? Every entry I read brings a huge smile to my face and tears to my eyes. It's a great feeling to know that someone I know is making such a difference. We definitely need to talk when you get back on how I can start helping to make a difference. Can't wait to see all your awesome pictures, hear all your awesome stories and read more of your adventures. Have fun, be safe and share the love.
30th June 2007

Bumala
Plusieurs fois par jour je vais vérifier le courrier en attendant des nouvelles de Bumala. Je suis si heureuse ce soir de recevoir des nouvelles de vous deux. Merci pour ce que vous faites pour ces enfants en notre nom, ils ont tant besoin de notre aide. Sommes très près de vous tous, et avons si hâte de vous revoir. Bonne Chance avec les transactions pour la construction.Take care! Je présume que vous êtes en bonne forme. Soyez prudent! Love XXXX Hélène et Daniel. P.S.Tante Thérèse B. et Lise A. font dire qu'elles vous admirent et vous supportent à cent pour cent et sont fières de votre travail et projet.
30th June 2007

Serengueti
Chanceux! Je vous souhaite de belles observations et un beau safari riche en photos dans les plaines du Serengueti. Pense à moi Cristelle. Locky You! Love You XXXX Hélène the mother. P.S. J'ai hâte d'avoir des nouvelles au sujet du terrain acheté et de la construction. Avez-vous dégusté la chèvre?
30th June 2007

Masai Mara
Oups! Bon safari à Masai Mara, je ne sais pourquoi j'avais en tête le Serenguetti. Masai Mara est plus réel dans mes souvenirs. Je vous souhaite d'excitantes découvertes que tous les animaux soient au endez-vous, et bonnes observations. Ln.
30th June 2007

"Teddy Bear"
It makes me very happy to know that "Mercy Cristelle" has put a smile on their faces!
30th June 2007

I am so happy that all is going so very well for you all while you are there. I only hope that my trip to Nairobi and Tamani goes as well as yours. I want you both to know how inspiring yur notes and daily experiences are to those who look forward to doing what you do for children. Although Tamani is still in its infancy we too have seen so many changes and leaps forward. I thank you for sharing all that you are going through. And I just wanted to let you know Todd. Our girls have moved into the new home today and we will be getting photos to share with you when you return. Thanks again.
30th June 2007

Thanks for the inspiration!
Hi to both of you, Cristelle and Todd! Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy days to keep us all in the Africa loop. It is truly inspiring to hear your day-to-day experiences, along with the powerful insights and emotions that arise from them. Take good care, I'm with you in thought and spirit! Cheers, Gloria
10th January 2008

not sure anymore
I just read your comments. I know I am one year old - but I have few comments First I am from bumals 2. Thank you so much for your interest in this area 3. I went to school in this area in the 70s and now am a doctor in the USA with several masters degrees so this place has potential 4. Be careful though and talk to the local community/admin leaders because primary/grade school is FREE in Kenya. Kids/families pay no tuition to attend school. If you see people parading kids for tuition - it is likely that you are being conned. I know because my family is currently helping quiet a few kids through high school. Finally, please keep up the good work
3rd July 2008

Bumalas for Bumala
I'm very curious about the origin of the name of this village for obvious reasons. I did have a great uncle who was in Africa during WWII. Hmmm...I'd like to know more about this project, since I think the Bumalas should do something to help out the village of Bumala!

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb