Surviving Jetlag/Getting my bearings


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
January 24th 2014
Published: June 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Friday, breakfast was eggs wrapped in chipati. After noon we went for a walk to get Caroline a sim card so her phone could be used. We walked through a market, it was very crowded. All of the vendors are squatters. On the way back to the house we stopped at Eden and Speck got Tusker. The final tab was cheap, 2000 shillings for 3 Tusker lager, 4 Tusker malt, 1 glass of wine, half pint of whiskey, & 3 sodas. Then was ttime for dinner, spinach, kale, and a white maize block of starch. speck and Caroline crashed at 10 still tired from traveling.

Caroline slept fitfully and at 2 am went to sleep on the couch. At some time during the night she purged and felt better. Janet had gone out and was back at 4 am and crashed on the other couch.

Next morning speck was up at 8, Caroline soon after. Part of the morning was spent sorting the suitcases of gifts. Lunch was getheri, which was a potato, bean and maize stew like mixture and black beans and slaw. Speck took a nap in the afternoon and when he awoke little Timothy Kimathi and his mom were visiting. Timothy was silent and spent most of the time pushing a footstool around the livingroom like it was a car.

Dinner was rice, slaw, and beef bone stew with carrots, potatoes, and peas in a tomato broth. After dinner Speck pestered Caroline for money to go have a pint. He and Janet were unsuccessful in getting her to join them, but Junior showed up later. At Eden, Speck met Bryan, and Martin and Janet's maybe boyfriend. Martin spent much of the night talking to speck, which was a challenge for Speck because Martin spits when he talks. Still everyone had fun. When paying the tab the server gave too much change. Speck noticed and to the chagrin of Janet, pointed out her error and made things right. Speck's wife was also like "why did you not keep the money?" Speck said "I plan on going back there and that server will remember that not only did I tip well but made sure she was not short changed. She will take care of me every time now."

Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb