3 Days in 1


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
January 23rd 2014
Published: June 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Speck's travel challenge begins the night before as he woke up at 10 pm to squeeze in one last shift at work before absconding for 25 days. After his 8 hour shift, during which he checked travel weather reports, printed terminal maps for the airports he would pass thru and checked to see if there were any changes in flight status, Speck rushed home for a shower and to make sure Caroline was awake and ready to climb into the car. Lights were staged, all cabinet doors opened so that pipes would not freeze (it was -1 f), thermostat turned down to 60, bags by the front door and Caroline stressed for the strange reason of she is not used to being ready on time or early. Mama Speck arrived in the van and Speck schlepped the bags to the van, hustled his wife to the car and they were off. With a prayer for safe travel they carefully drove to the CVG where the next challenge waited... The parking garage. It must be said, the CVG garage is poorly designed and lacking in signage. Eventually Speck and Caroline were dumped near an entrance and Mother went and parked the car. Once inside Speck hi-jacked a scale and found that only one suitcase was 10 lbs overweight and was able to redistribute some of the contents to some lighter bags. A quick wrapping of duct tape and it was time to pray that the 4 checked bags would be seen again more than 24 hours later in Kenya.

Speck bought a set of Ear-planes to help with his flying troubles and then they stepped thru security and found their departure gate. Cincy to Newark 30 minute delay due to tel Aviv group that had a flat tire on the bus, flight delay in newark meant extra couple hours hanging out in the United Club, speck did a scotch tasting, the Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18 and 21. The 15 and 18 were amazing, the 15 tasting of spiced raisins and the 18 apples sauteed with nutmeg and cinnamon. Lunch was had at Ruby's Diner in concourse C and the burgers were very good and stayed with us for 8 hours or more but the fries were mediocre.

On the flight to Brussels there were many empty seats and Caroline laid down in a vacant row and slept for at least 3 hours. Speck watched Cool Runnings in honor of the upcoming Olympics and recent news articles about Jamaica again qualifying for the 2man bobsled, followed by the Star Trek reboot and its sequel. Some where during the first Star Trek Speck fell asleep for 40 minutes or so, the first sleep he had gotten since 10 pm the night before.

When the flight arrived in Brussels there were a scant 2 hours to find the next departure gate. Speck found some WiFi at the gate and was able to send off a couple emails and then it was time to wing it to the southern hemisphere.

Speck was surprised at how well cared for the passengers were. At altitude drinks were quickly served, followed by dinner with wine, a wide selection of on demand movies and once again a mostly empty plane. Caroline again found an empty row and slept for 6 hours or so. While she slept there was another drink service, ice cream, and as she woke up some terrible French bread cheese pizza. Shortly there after the plane landed in Kigali and some of the passengers debarked. In the next hour staff straightened the plane around the remaining passengers and then new passengers boarded, either to just make the short flight to Nairobi or to continue on to Brussels. Just before takeoff the stewardesses sprayed something at the ceiling as they came down the aisle.

The flight to Nairobi was fast, and Speck was most relieved when they finally landed at the final destination. His ears had survived without crippling pain through the combination of ear plugs, constant gum chewing, and decongestants. Off the plane via a rolling stair and into a bus they head to customs. Customs is not well explained but Speck realizes he is in the wrong lane because his wife had him pre-purchase a visa and the line he entered is for those who need a visa. After joining Caroline in the right lane they are finger printed and then each grabbed a cart to haul the hundreds of pounds of clothing and gifts that were brought. Laden with luggage they approached the inspector expecting to have to explain why they looked ready to cloth a village but were waved on and out the door with out a single bag being unzipped. Major relief! Just outside the door it was time to meet Mom and Dad Kimathi, Sister Lucy, niece Janet, brothers and , and nephew Junior. Mom and Dad had driven 3 hours to meet Caroline and Speck and after the meet and greet and a prayer of thanks, they got back in the car and drove 3 hours back to Nyeri. Kenyans be crazy! Speck and Caroline rode with Lucy, Junior, and Janet to their house where they would stay for the next week. After getting inside it is time to crash, and crash they do. Speck first soon followed by Caroline.
<iframe class="like_frame" style="border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 327px; height: 24px; overflow: hidden; padding-top: 16px;" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.travelpod.com%2Ftravel-blog-entries%2Fthespeck%2F1%2F1390375223%2Ftpod.html&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=327&action=like&colorscheme=light&height=24" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb