Day 4 - Nairobi National Park


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 12th 2013
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -1.27975, 36.8126

Where do I start? What an incredible day. We began the day with a safari through Nairobi National Park via a open roofed Toyota Land Cruiser. We came incredibly close to White rhinos, hundreds of zebras, ostriches, hartebeests, giraffes, warthogs, thompson's and grants's gazelles, impalas and ilams, cape buffalo, crocodile, baboons, vervet monkeys, and others that we probably forgot.
After lunch, we headed to the giraffe center where everyone but me thought is was a great idea to let the giraffes eat out of their mouths. (Not pretty)

Then, we visited Karen Blixen's plantation, who is the author of Out of Africa.

From there, we went to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage where they rescue baby elephants that are orphaned due to poachers or the death of the mother as a result of other unfortunate means. Naturally, we "adopted" baby elephants via annual contributions. We will get updates regarding our elephants' progress until they are released back into the wild. They also had a 7 year-old, blind, black rhino named Maxwell, who will live out his 40 years at the orphanage since he will never be able to be reintroduced into the wild. (There is an IMAX DVD that features the orphanage.)

Once we returned to the lodge, we were informed that a baboon had broken into both of our rooms and riffled through out bags, stealing our food.

At dinner, we dined at our table with another guest, Mark a periodontist from California, and the owner of the lodge, and next to the table of a 10 year-old Saudi prince and his entourage of 12. Our table was a lot louder than the Saudi table.

That evening, we sat around the lodge drinking wine and listening to Sean and Sarah entertain on guitar. We drank, played music, and saw Mark's pictures of his gorilla trek until about 1 am.
We went to bed anticipating our 5:30 wake-up calls in order to catch our flight to the Maasai Mara.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb